Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel 2007 - Autocomplete Alpha List

In previous versions of Excel, if I added A,B,C,D,E to the first few rows of
a column then dragged the AutoFill handle downwards, Excel would have
recognised a pattern and suggested the remaining values for me.

In 2007, if recognises the values but suggestions simply start from A again,
so I'd get A,B,C,D,E,F,A,B,C etc. Not what I want.

Can someone please suggest what I'm doing wrong - as this used to be a great
feature which saved me hours of time.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Office Button|Excel Options|Popular - Edit custom lists

Create a custom list of the letters of the alphabet
--
Mike

question.

"Jannoth" wrote:

In previous versions of Excel, if I added A,B,C,D,E to the first few rows of
a column then dragged the AutoFill handle downwards, Excel would have
recognised a pattern and suggested the remaining values for me.

In 2007, if recognises the values but suggestions simply start from A again,
so I'd get A,B,C,D,E,F,A,B,C etc. Not what I want.

Can someone please suggest what I'm doing wrong - as this used to be a great
feature which saved me hours of time.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This is untrue for previous versions. XL can only autocomplete alpha lists
that have been stored in its group of lists (such as months and days).

--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"Jannoth" wrote in message
In previous versions of Excel, if I added A,B,C,D,E to the first few rows
of
a column then dragged the AutoFill handle downwards, Excel would have
recognised a pattern and suggested the remaining values for me.

In 2007, if recognises the values but suggestions simply start from A
again,
so I'd get A,B,C,D,E,F,A,B,C etc. Not what I want.

Can someone please suggest what I'm doing wrong - as this used to be a
great
feature which saved me hours of time.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Let's say you want the series to start from cell A4. In cell A4, enter
=CHAR(ROW()+61) and copy down

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Jannoth" wrote in message
In previous versions of Excel, if I added A,B,C,D,E to the first few rows
of
a column then dragged the AutoFill handle downwards, Excel would have
recognised a pattern and suggested the remaining values for me.

In 2007, if recognises the values but suggestions simply start from A
again,
so I'd get A,B,C,D,E,F,A,B,C etc. Not what I want.

Can someone please suggest what I'm doing wrong - as this used to be a
great
feature which saved me hours of time.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

See other replies for creating custom lists.

Note lists are case-sensitive

you must create two lists

one with upper case A,B,C

one with lower case a,b,c