Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Help with a IF formula

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to have if and research in the same formula?

I need to have a fomula that looks into a cell for a certain item described
in a list and if its not there to search into a second set of data . and if
its in either to right nothing for the moment, I may need to add more later.

Thank you for your help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can nest your conditions lke this

IF(Test for first value, return answer, IF(check for second value,return
answer,0))

=IF(NOT(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,B1:B10,0))),"First One
Found",IF(NOT(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,C1:C10,0))),"Second One Found",0))

In this sample If A1 is found in B1:B10 the formula will yield "First One
Found", If A1 is not in B1:B10 then C1:C10 will be checked. If found in this
range "Second One Found" will be the result. If A1 is found in neither range
then 0 will result.

In the future it is helpful if you post a small sample of data for what you
are trying to do.

--
If this helps, please remember to click yes.

"Pascale" wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to have if and research in the same formula?

I need to have a fomula that looks into a cell for a certain item described
in a list and if its not there to search into a second set of data . and if
its in either to right nothing for the moment, I may need to add more later.

Thank you for your help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

IF(NOT(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,B1:B10,0)))

A few keystrokes shorter: