Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Help with formula: finding text

Hi,
I would like to ask for help with a formula for comparing name in a cell
with a list of names in a table. If there is a match it should return a
associated text to the matched name from the table. If no match it should
just leave the cell blank. Thanks in advance

Jonas
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Eva Eva is offline

Hi
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE)
--
Please click "yes" if this post helped you!

Greatly appreciated

Eva

"Jonas Ornborg" wrote:

Hi,
I would like to ask for help with a formula for comparing name in a cell
with a list of names in a table. If there is a match it should return a
associated text to the matched name from the table. If no match it should
just leave the cell blank. Thanks in advance

Jonas

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

VLOOKUP?

See help for instructions on use.

Basic formula to return a match or leave cell blank.

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(cell,table,colindex,FALSE)),"",VL OOKUP(cell,table,colindex,FALSE))

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 15:13:02 -0700, Jonas Ornborg <Jonas
wrote:

Hi,
I would like to ask for help with a formula for comparing name in a cell
with a list of names in a table. If there is a match it should return a
associated text to the matched name from the table. If no match it should
just leave the cell blank. Thanks in advance

Jonas

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi, Thanks but I tend to get "Missing" (or "Saknas" in Swedish) in some cell
which should not be (i.e. there should be a match).
Jonas

"Eva" skrev:

Hi
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE)
--

"Jonas Ornborg" wrote:

Hi,
I would like to ask for help with a formula for comparing name in a cell
with a list of names in a table. If there is a match it should return a
associated text to the matched name from the table. If no match it should
just leave the cell blank. Thanks in advance

Jonas

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Extra spaces in the cells?

Gord

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 16:33:01 -0700, Jonas Ornborg
wrote:

Hi, Thanks but I tend to get "Missing" (or "Saknas" in Swedish) in some cell
which should not be (i.e. there should be a match).
Jonas

"Eva" skrev:

Hi
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE)