Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Looking for a Function? similar to LEFT

I have a list of org unit names that are always preceded by a 3 digit number.
How can I just show the text and not the numbers?
Example: 001 Org Unit Name
*note* there is also always a space after the 3 digits.
In this example I only want a column to display "Org Unit Name."
Help?
KR
P.S. I looked through other posts and did not see anything readily similar.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-4)
--
Russell Dawson
Excel Student

Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful.

"KatieR" wrote:

I have a list of org unit names that are always preceded by a 3 digit number.
How can I just show the text and not the numbers?
Example: 001 Org Unit Name
*note* there is also always a space after the 3 digits.
In this example I only want a column to display "Org Unit Name."
Help?
KR
P.S. I looked through other posts and did not see anything readily similar.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try looking up the mid() function in Excel Help. Assuming your original unit
name with numbers is in A1: =MID(A1,5,20). Adjust the 20 to match the
longest possible unit name.

Here is the syntax: =MID(text,start_num,num_chars).

OR

You could also use the text-to-columns feature and designate your data in
the Text to Columns Wizard as space delimited.

Hope this helps.

rzink

"KatieR" wrote:

I have a list of org unit names that are always preceded by a 3 digit number.
How can I just show the text and not the numbers?
Example: 001 Org Unit Name
*note* there is also always a space after the 3 digits.
In this example I only want a column to display "Org Unit Name."
Help?
KR
P.S. I looked through other posts and did not see anything readily similar.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Another way is

=MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,999)

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional,
Excel, 1998 - 2010
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:21:01 -0700, KatieR
wrote:

I have a list of org unit names that are always preceded by a 3 digit number.
How can I just show the text and not the numbers?
Example: 001 Org Unit Name
*note* there is also always a space after the 3 digits.
In this example I only want a column to display "Org Unit Name."
Help?
KR
P.S. I looked through other posts and did not see anything readily similar.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Chip Pearson wrote...
Another way is

=MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,999)

Good to use the delimiter. Possible to dispense with the 999.

=REPLACE(A1,1,FIND(" ",A1),"")