Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Pivot Table Defaults

In the pivot table field list, whenever I create a new pivot table and I am
inserting fields into the value area, I generally get as default field
setting the 'Count' value. Is there a way to format the spreadsheet to make
Excel recognize the data as all numbers so it defaults to the "Sum" function
as opposed to "text"?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

The rule that the PT Wizard adopts is,
If all the values in the field being added to the data area are Numeric,
then it uses Sum.
If any of the values are Text or BLANK, then it uses Count.

It sounds as though you have defined a large range for your source data,
to allow for future entries. Of necessity, this will include blank cells
in your numeric fields.

If you are using XL2003, place your cursor in your source data and use
DataListCreatecheck my list has Headers.
The List will grow dynamically as you add more data.
Now, make the list the source data for your PT, and it will default to
Sum for your Numeric data

If you are using XL2007, then similar to above, Insert tabTablecheck
my table has headers
Click on Tableoptions tabSummarize with Pivot Table
--
Regards
Roger Govier