Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default I am stuck

The numbers represent rounds.

So a name will go with a round (number) but some names know more than one
round.

Name a 1
name b 2
name c 3

name d knows round 1 and 2
name e knows round 2 and 3

Is there an automatic function that would allocate "name d" or "name e" to a
round if "name a, b or c" were not available for that day?

The table would look like this

Name a 1
name b 2
name c 3
name d
name e

Say for example "name a" was not available how would "name d" get allocated
to round 1

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Mar 4, 5:59*am, Ujpest wrote:
The numbers represent rounds.

So a name will go with a round (number) but some names know more than one
round.

Name a * * * 1
name b * * * 2
name c * * * 3

name d knows round 1 and 2
name e knows round 2 and 3

Is there an automatic function that would allocate "name d" or "name e" to a
round if "name a, b or c" were not available for that day?

The table would look like this

Name a * * * 1
name b * * * 2
name c * * * 3
name d
name e

Say for example "name a" was not available how would "name d" get allocated
to round 1

Not quite sure exactly what's intended here, but maybe this will help
get started.

I put the prescribed data in columns A1:B3 with the two extra names in
A4:A5.

Then I put this in B4:
=IF(COUNTIF(B1:B3,1)=0,1,IF(COUNTIF(B1:B3,2)=0,2," "))
and this in B5:
=IF(COUNTIF(B1:B4,2)=0,2,IF(COUNTIF(B1:B4,3)=0,3," "))

With this setup, I can delete any one number from B1:B3, or any two of
them, and the extra names get allocated the unassigned rounds.