Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Conditional Formatting Confusion

I have a cell that contains the value 5.4. The value is a result of a
calculated formula. There is conditional formatting set up in that cell and
it's not turning a different color. When I type in 5.4 in that cell, the cell
color changes accordingly. What could be causing this to happen? Im confused.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 14:22:05 -0800, Karen
wrote:

I have a cell that contains the value 5.4. The value is a result of a
calculated formula. There is conditional formatting set up in that cell and
it's not turning a different color. When I type in 5.4 in that cell, the cell
color changes accordingly. What could be causing this to happen? I’m confused.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, Karen

Most likely the result of your formula is not EXACTLY 5.4.

One fix would be to modify your conditional formatting formula to take that
into account.

Another fix would be to ROUND the formula in the cell to one digit after the
decimal.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The calculated value of 5.4 may not be exactly 5.4.

Increase decimal places and you may find the value is 5.37001 or similar.

In that cae you have to use the ROUND function to get your value to 5.4

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

wrote:

I have a cell that contains the value 5.4. The value is a result of a
calculated formula. There is conditional formatting set up in that cell and
it's not turning a different color. When I type in 5.4 in that cell, the cell
color changes accordingly. What could be causing this to happen? I’m confused.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry
The formula is: =D19 X e19 x F19 x 0.0001
D19 = 63
E19 = 860
F19 = 0.0001

The conditional formatting is:
Condition 1: Greater than or equal to 0.1
Condition 2: Less Than or Equal to 5.4

OK, not this is weird. I just applied the conditional formatting to several
cells and they all turned the color I specified. Some are within the
parameters and some are outside the 0.1 and 5.4.
HELP!

"Don Guillett" wrote:

As always post your conditional formatting formula for comments
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Karen" wrote in message
I have a cell that contains the value 5.4. The value is a result of a
calculated formula. There is conditional formatting set up in that cell
and
it's not turning a different color. When I type in 5.4 in that cell, the
cell
color changes accordingly. What could be causing this to happen? Im
confused.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, Karen

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The ROUND function can be located in Excel help.

Basics are

=ROUND(D19*E19*F19,1) to get 1 DP

=ROUND(D19*E19*F19,0) to get no DP

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 14:16:01 -0800, Karen
wrote:

Thank you, but I'm not sure how to round if there's a formula in the cell.
The formula is: =D19 X e19 x F19 x 0.0001
How can this be done?
Thank you VERY much, Karen

"Don Guillett" wrote:

rounding..............

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Karen" wrote in message
I have a cell that contains the value 5.4. The value is a result of a
calculated formula. There is conditional formatting set up in that cell
and
it's not turning a different color. When I type in 5.4 in that cell,
the
cell
color changes accordingly. What could be causing this to happen? I’m
confused.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, Karen

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks! I didb't realize that it was so easy.
Have a great weekend, Karen

wrote:

Thank you, but I'm not sure how to round if there's a formula in the cell.
The formula is: =D19 X e19 x F19 x 0.0001
How can this be done?
Thank you VERY much, Karen

"Don Guillett" wrote:

rounding..............