Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Using validation to make data appear or not

I have an array of cells that all rely on a "Y" or "N" value in another
cell, and an IF statement to either make the data appear or not appear.

It works fine, except that when the data appears and fill, the borders
pop up fine. Some of them, however refuse to disappear the same way the
data does, yet others do just fine. This includes cell color formatting,
which I am able to make stay or go. I just seem to have a problem with
some cell retaining persistent border, which go away completely if I
remove them, but that isn't what I want. I want them to behave just like
the cells do where the border does disappear along with the data. I just
cannot figure out why I have some picky cell formats, and cannot figure
out what to do to kill it.

I know this isn't a function, but it is the product of one.

My disappear code is like: IF(C5="Y",H5,"")
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I solved it. I do not know why, but adjacent cells with no data or
formatting were keeping one edge of a border designation.

I still do not know why it was happening or exactly what I did to solve
it, but it works now. The cells clear away completely when I set a cell
value to N, and they re-appear when I set the cell to Y, complete with
borders and cell formatting, which, I guess is an exquisite function of
setting the IF false response to "".

Either way, it works great. That is my product selection guide. I
have a "completed work-up report" worksheet that I want to perform
lookups on the work-up sheet and compile a completed form that only shows
what selections were made, sans the gaps and blank lines. I still have
to work on a dynamic array that uses vlookup to get me there. I
currently have gaps, and that sheet is now my current effort, as my
as-built selection guide is working fine. I just need to complete the
compiled selection report sheet.

Thanks, however for the help. I forgot to get back on, and announce
success. Sorry for that.

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 08:19:21 +0000, teylyn
wrote:

Hi Lil Red,

this may be a lot easier to solve if we could have a look at your file.
You can find your question at 'The Code Cage - Microsoft Office Help -
Microsoft Office Discussion' (http://www.thecodecage.com) and when you
register as a member (for free, of course) you can simply upload a file
for us to look at.

Simply click the link below to access your question in 'The Code Cage -
Microsoft Office Help - Microsoft Office Discussion'
(http://www.thecodecage.com), then sign up and post your file.

http://tinyurl.com/yalhmv7

cheers

teylyn