Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default vlookup or index/match formula??

I am trying to us a vlookup formula which is a little more dynamic than just
a vlookup...I am looking to return sales figures for a given product accross
several months.

a b c d
1 Jan Feb Mar
2 prod A 10 20 30
3 prod B 5 15 6
4 Prod C 5 1 13

The current formula is: VLOOKUP($A7,$A$2:$D$4,2,FALSE)
Is there a way to change the index column to account for the change in
month, without having to just change the column from 2 to 3 to 4 as I move
accross months...can I add some other index or match, to match the month name
and return the matching value that cooresponds with the related month?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

If you cjange your formula to the one below and drag right the column number
increments

=VLOOKUP($A7,$A$2:$D$4,COLUMN(B2),FALSE)
--
Mike

question.

"Tdub" wrote:

I am trying to us a vlookup formula which is a little more dynamic than just
a vlookup...I am looking to return sales figures for a given product accross
several months.

a b c d
1 Jan Feb Mar
2 prod A 10 20 30
3 prod B 5 15 6
4 Prod C 5 1 13

The current formula is: VLOOKUP($A7,$A$2:$D$4,2,FALSE)
Is there a way to change the index column to account for the change in
month, without having to just change the column from 2 to 3 to 4 as I move
accross months...can I add some other index or match, to match the month name
and return the matching value that cooresponds with the related month?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You may want to look at using the =index(match()) instructions from Debra
Dalgleish's site:

http://contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html
and especially:
http://contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html#IndexMatch2

Tdub wrote:

I am trying to us a vlookup formula which is a little more dynamic than just
a vlookup...I am looking to return sales figures for a given product accross
several months.

a b c d
1 Jan Feb Mar
2 prod A 10 20 30
3 prod B 5 15 6
4 Prod C 5 1 13

The current formula is: VLOOKUP($A7,$A$2:$D$4,2,FALSE)
Is there a way to change the index column to account for the change in
month, without having to just change the column from 2 to 3 to 4 as I move
accross months...can I add some other index or match, to match the month name
and return the matching value that cooresponds with the related month?

--

Dave Peterson