Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Check inputdate, then retrieve data to fill in chart from dated co

ok hope I can explain this..
I have a sheet with dated columns and the first row is employee names
each dated column is filled with letters that correspond to a duty a-g. so
for the next 3 months I can look across the top for a date then down the
column to see where each person is supposed to be. Now I also have a form I
print up daily to post for people to see where they are supposed to be.. I
fill it manually at this point
I wonder if there is any formulat to help automate this.. I am thinking two
hopeful ideas.. a drop down list on the form, pulling the list of names...
but it seems I cant do that unless they employee list is on the same page??
It would be really helpful if after pulling a name of that list.. it took
that name off the possibilities.. so I dont accidently have joe blow working
two places. But what would be most helpfull is if I could input the date on
the form page and it takes that date, checks it from the first sheet, and
based on the letters puts in the corresponding name. the form is sectioned
by duty.. so if all the employees that are supposed to be doing 'A' get
dropped into the 6 corresponding spots for 'A' on the form.. wow in my head
its so clear lol.. any help at all would be great. Sorry for the run-on
paragraph.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Perhaps this will help
SHEET 1
DATE | 12/1 | 12/2 | 12/3
tom a | A | C | E
fred b | C | A | F
mary c | A | E | G
bill d | B | C | E

Would like the names retrieved and
dropped into the form {below} based on
assigned letter and by date I input

DUTIES DATE _12/1__

A | B | D | F |

A | B | E | F |

C | B | G | D |

Hope this makes more sense..
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Check inputdate, then retrieve data to fill in chart from date

Not clear how you have arranged your data in Sheet2..Try the below test

In Sheet2 cell F1 enter the query date
In Sheet2 cell F2 enter the 'assigned letter'

Try the below formula in Sheet2....
=INDEX(Sheet1!A:A,MATCH(F2,OFFSET(Sheet1!A:A,0,
MATCH(F1,Sheet1!1:1)-1),0))

--
Jacob