Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Function needed to search and pull data from 1 table to another

Really need some help to determine what function/formula to use.
Table A contains names of Learners and their job functions. The same learner
could be there twice, and some learners have no job funtion.
Learner Name Job Function
A, EASWAR Marketing
A, EASWAR Marketing
Aarts, Hans
Abib, Marcelo Research
Abib, Marcelo Research
Abo El Azayem, Mohamed HR
Abou-Taleb, Khaled Marketing
Aceña Garcia, Luis Sales

The second table just has learner names. I need to pull the job function
from the other table to this. However, note that there could be someone on
this list that is not in the list above, or again, in here twice.
Learner Name
A, EASWAR
A, EASWAR
Art Jones
Abib, Marcelo
Abib, Marcelo
Abo El Azayem, Mohamed
Abou-Taleb, Khaled
Cat Smith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
assuming that your first list is in sheet2 column A and B and you want to
pull the information in sheet1 where you have the names in column A starting
row 2 in B2 enter

=index(sheet2!$B$1:$B$1000,match(A1,sheet2!$A$1:$A $1000,0))

"Heidi" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Function needed to search and pull data from 1 table to anothe

Hi Eduardo,
When use this it seems to just return the same list in the same order back
on sheet one. For example, "Cat Smith" is on sheet 1, but not on sheet 2,
using the formula, her job function comes back as "marketing", yet it shoul
really have N/A.

"Heidi" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
I think we mixed up sheet names, I consider the first table is in sheet 2
and you want to pull the information in sheet 1 from sheet 2, I think your
case is the other way use

=index(sheet1!$B$1:$B$1000,match(A1,sheet1!$A$1:$A $1000,0))

=index(column to pull information from,match(cell you want to look into the
table,range in the table where you have the names)

"Heidi" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
Still returns data for "Cat Smith". Below is what is in Sheet 1, I input the
formula to cell B2 on sheet 1 and copied contents down.

Learner Name Job Function
A, EASWAR Marketing
A, EASWAR Marketing
Art Jones 0
Abib, Marcelo Research
Abib, Marcelo Research
Abo El Azayem, Mohamed HR
Abou-Taleb, Khaled Marketing
Cat Smith Sales

Here is what is in sheet 2 - seems to be picking up job function for Aceña
Garcia, Luis with is "Sales" and putting it in for Cat SMith.