Shazbut

Default Converting Text into a Numeric Value and Totalling

I am currently working on a spreadsheet whereby I want to automatically
total entries made in text.

I am fine using "countif" for most of my codes but I have a problem.

I have a code of "H" which is equal to 1 and a code of "HH" which is
equal to 0.5.

I want to know if it is possible to enter a formula that will total the
amount of "H"s (H=1) AND the total of "HH"s (HH=0.5) within the same
formula.

E.G. The spreadsheet contains 5 cells with "H" entered and 3 cells
with "HH" entered. Therefore the total should be 6.5.

Is such a formula possible?

--
Shazbut
Nick

If you are only using H and HH then you could use the following formula.
Values entered in Range A1:A8

=(COUNTIF(A1:A8,"H")*1)+(COUNTIF(A1:A8,"HH")*0.5)

If you are using lots of different characters to represent values then you
would need something a little more complex.
Hope this helps.

Nick