Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Could someone please help me with a solution to my problem?

Could someone please help me with a solution to my problem...?

In column X I have finishing position last run
In column Y I have finishing position penultimate run

What I am trying to do is find how many times the finishing position in both
the last run and penultimate run was 1st 2nd or 3rd

I have been trying this formula...
=SUMPRODUCT(('Cheltenham 1992-2010'!$X$2:$X$820<=3)*('Cheltenham
1992-2010'!$Y$2:$Y$820<=3)) but it appears to be returning all instances of
finishing position equal or less that three, where I only want it to return
when the finishing position is equal or less than three, in both column X
and Y
Any suggestions with formula to accomplice this would be most welcome.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This is only or both columns or me

=SUMPRODUCT(('Cheltenham 1992-2010'!$X$2:$X$820<"")*('Cheltenham
1992-2010'!$X$2:$X$820<=3)*('Cheltenham 1992-2010'!$Y$2:$Y$820<=3))

PS All I did was add a test for blanks as most of my test data was blank

HTH

Bob

"Eamon" wrote in message
Could someone please help me with a solution to my problem...?

In column X I have finishing position last run
In column Y I have finishing position penultimate run

What I am trying to do is find how many times the finishing position in
both the last run and penultimate run was 1st 2nd or 3rd

I have been trying this formula...
=SUMPRODUCT(('Cheltenham 1992-2010'!$X$2:$X$820<=3)*('Cheltenham
1992-2010'!$Y$2:$Y$820<=3)) but it appears to be returning all instances
of finishing position equal or less that three, where I only want it to
return when the finishing position is equal or less than three, in both
column X and Y
Any suggestions with formula to accomplice this would be most welcome.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Do you have empty cells which are being regarded as <=3 ?

Perhaps try =SUMPRODUCT(('Cheltenham
1992-2010'!$X$2:$X$820<=3)*('Cheltenham
1992-2010'!$Y$2:$Y$820<=3)*('Cheltenham
1992-2010'!$X$2:$X$820<"")*('Cheltenham