Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Column total is wrong

I have a column of figures which is the result of multiplied column A x
Column B. Column B is a multiplier of .001665. The result is shown to two
decimal places. When I total the results in Column B, using formula
=SUM(B1:B2), it gives the result as 11.16 instead of 11.15. Can I fix this
somehow so it gives the correct total?

Example
A Formula in B Result in B
3250.00 =A1x0.001665 5.41
3450.00 =A2x0.001665 5.74
Total 11.16

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use rounding on the multiplier formula:

=ROUND(A1*0.001665,2)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Carolan" wrote in message
I have a column of figures which is the result of multiplied column A x
Column B. Column B is a multiplier of .001665. The result is shown to
two
decimal places. When I total the results in Column B, using formula
=SUM(B1:B2), it gives the result as 11.16 instead of 11.15. Can I fix
this
somehow so it gives the correct total?

Example
A Formula in B Result in B
3250.00 =A1x0.001665 5.41
3450.00 =A2x0.001665 5.74
Total 11.16

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
what happens is that you have more decimals like 5.41 really is 5.41125 and
5.74 is 5.74425 this is why you get 11.16. try using this formula

=FLOOR(SUM(B6:B7),0.01)

"Carolan" wrote:

I have a column of figures which is the result of multiplied column A x
Column B. Column B is a multiplier of .001665. The result is shown to two
decimal places. When I total the results in Column B, using formula
=SUM(B1:B2), it gives the result as 11.16 instead of 11.15. Can I fix this
somehow so it gives the correct total?

Example
A Formula in B Result in B
3250.00 =A1x0.001665 5.41
3450.00 =A2x0.001665 5.74
Total 11.16

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Your problem is that cell is rounding the data up. The result is not 5.41.
Its really 5.41125. Result 2 is really 5.74425. Together your true total is
11.1555. Or rounded up to 11.16. You could use another decimal point to give
you a more exact answer.