Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formula Help

I need to flag when two cells don't equal another cell, i.e. S34+V34 must
equal Q34 and if it does not, I need to be able to find that error
easily..... I don't know what formula to use or where to put the formula to
make it apply to every cell in a long column. Thanks for any help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Kathie
You need to put this formula in an otherwise blank column. Which column
you choose doesn't matter. Just pick one that suits you. Let's pretend
that your data starts in row 2. In row 2 of this blank column, enter this
formula and hit Enter:
=IF(S2+V2<Q2,"ERROR","")
Now select that cell in which you just typed that formula. Now look at the
border that is around that cell. Notice that the bottom tight corner of
that cell is different. It has a little dot or square. That is called the
fill handle. Bring you mouse pointer to that corner. You will notice that
the cell pointer changes shape at and around that corner. Move it around
until the pointer becomes a black plus sign. At that point, depress the
left mouse button and hold it down. Now drag down, with your mouse, as far
as your data goes. Let go of the mouse button. This formula will produce a
blank cell if the sum of Columns S & V EQUALS what is in column Q. If not,
it will produce "ERROR". A quick scan of that column will show you which
rows have the error. HTH Otto