Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old January 27th 10, 06:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 460
Default parent/child relationship between rows?

I have a list of about a thousand rows. I want to divide these rows by
inserting new rows as 'headers' for certain groups of rows. is there a way
to 'attach' the rows below the 'header' row? When i do a sort over the
entire spreadsheet, I want the 'child' rows to maintain a relationship to the
'parent/header' row. TIA

  #2   Report Post  
Old January 27th 10, 06:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Eva Eva is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
Default parent/child relationship between rows?

Hi
I would create a new column called for example "Group" and fill in all rows
(don't leave blanks there) then clik Data/Group and outline/group

Click yes if helped
--
Greatly appreciated
Eva


"Doug" wrote:

I have a list of about a thousand rows. I want to divide these rows by
inserting new rows as 'headers' for certain groups of rows. is there a way
to 'attach' the rows below the 'header' row? When i do a sort over the
entire spreadsheet, I want the 'child' rows to maintain a relationship to the
'parent/header' row. TIA

  #3   Report Post  
Old January 27th 10, 08:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 460
Default parent/child relationship between rows?

Eva, I can see how this might help. But it leaves me to sort by this new
Group in order to keep the relationship between the header (parent) and
subsequent rows (children). We may want to sort the spreadsheet, but only by
the headers while keeping the children 'attached' to the parent.

"Eva" wrote:

Hi
I would create a new column called for example "Group" and fill in all rows
(don't leave blanks there) then clik Data/Group and outline/group

Click yes if helped
--
Greatly appreciated
Eva


"Doug" wrote:

I have a list of about a thousand rows. I want to divide these rows by
inserting new rows as 'headers' for certain groups of rows. is there a way
to 'attach' the rows below the 'header' row? When i do a sort over the
entire spreadsheet, I want the 'child' rows to maintain a relationship to the
'parent/header' row. TIA

  #4   Report Post  
Old January 27th 10, 08:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Eva Eva is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Dec 2006
Posts: 197
Default parent/child relationship between rows?

Hi
I still think that it should work, even you don't have to group it (I don't
like this future and I don't use it actually), but creating a colum called
"group" or "header" should really help. example
group data
A 1
A 2
B 1
B 3
B 5
etc
so when you sort by the colum A (group) all data are "attached" to the
group, so I think it should solve the problem you have
Click yes if helped
--
Greatly appreciated
Eva


"Doug" wrote:

Eva, I can see how this might help. But it leaves me to sort by this new
Group in order to keep the relationship between the header (parent) and
subsequent rows (children). We may want to sort the spreadsheet, but only by
the headers while keeping the children 'attached' to the parent.

"Eva" wrote:

Hi
I would create a new column called for example "Group" and fill in all rows
(don't leave blanks there) then clik Data/Group and outline/group

Click yes if helped
--
Greatly appreciated
Eva


"Doug" wrote:

I have a list of about a thousand rows. I want to divide these rows by
inserting new rows as 'headers' for certain groups of rows. is there a way
to 'attach' the rows below the 'header' row? When i do a sort over the
entire spreadsheet, I want the 'child' rows to maintain a relationship to the
'parent/header' row. TIA



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Creating child worksheet from parent Vibeke Excel Worksheet Functions 7 July 9th 09 04:34 AM
Hierarchal view of parent/child list Mitch Powell Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 6 October 4th 08 01:16 AM
Pivot Table - Parent to Child Data Brennan Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 September 24th 08 05:23 AM
Finding loops in parent/child relationships GrahamC Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 November 22nd 07 06:15 PM
Sorting Parent Child kcmtnbiker Excel Worksheet Functions 2 March 31st 06 01:54 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Microsoft Excel"

 

Copyright © 2017