Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Spreadsheet - Deleting Duplicate Records - Self Checking

I have read a number of duplicate record removal posts here. I have used the
Advanced Filter options. I know very little about the coded logical functions
in Excel.

In the protocol to set a unique list for reference in filtering if I have to
assign every single unique entry then I will be in essence deleting the
duplicates by hand as there are many of them.

The basic issue is this. The data records are entered for couples such that
there is:

Janet,Brown,X,Y,Z,Phone1
Janet,Brown,X,Y,Z,Phone2
Janet,Brown,X,Y,Z,Phone3
John,Brown,X,Y,Z,Phone1
John,Brown,X,Y,Z,Phone2
John,Brown,X,Y,Z,Phone3

I would like to filter to remove one of the name entries. In other words, I
do not want duplicates of the phone numbers.

If I had a fortran compiler or some such I could bang this out fast but ....
I haven't used that stuff in years.

Any suggestions would be well appreciated.

Paul
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

For quick investigations, I'd use a pivot. In Layout, place all of the 6 col
headers into the ROW area (set Subtotals to none for all), drop one of the
col headers into DATA area (set to Count), click to Finish up the wizard. The
pivot's ROW area will display the list of "uniques", with the counts for each
appearing under "Total". Any joy? hit the YES below
--
Max
Singapore