Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Adding column data based on match in 2nd column - Help

Hi,

Simple problem, but got me stumped.

The setup:

I have 2 columns. The first (column A starting in row 10) has members' names.
The second (column B starting in row 10) has the additions made by the
members over time. Column B has a 'header' cell that adds up the values
entered by a particular member. The header cell for column B is B9. Cell A1
contains the member's name that cell B9 has to add the values for.

I need a formula for Cell B9.

For example:
[Cell A1] Member A

[Row 9] Formula needed for cell B9
COLUMN A_______|| COLUMN B____
[Row 10] Member A || Addition: 100
[Row 11] Member B || Addition: 50
[Row 12] Member C || Addition: 20
[Row 13] Member A || Addition: 100
[Row 14] Member C || Addition: 20

Result:
If [Cell A1] = Member A then B9 = B10+B13 = 200

If [Cell A1] = Member B then B9 = B11 = 50

If [Cell A1] = Member C then B9 = B12+B14 = 40

I may have as many as 12 members, as in A10 to A22

Appreciate the help.

GBExcel

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Addition: 100

Does the cell actually contain the word Addition?

See if this does what you want...

=SUMIF(A10:A100,A1,B10:B100)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"GBExcel via OfficeKB.com" <u55438@uwe wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No, just the number.

Thanks, your formula works perfectly. (I tried SUMIF but it didn't work. You
must have the magic touch. ;-))

GBExcel

T. Valko wrote:
Addition: 100

Does the cell actually contain the word Addition?

See if this does what you want...

=SUMIF(A10:A100,A1,B10:B100)

Hi,

[quoted text clipped - 35 lines]