Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default multiple columns and row table and finding the answer

Looking for the correct Function

I have a table that looks sort of like this

A B C D E F G H I J

A 14 14 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4
B 2 14 14 11 10 9 8 7 6 5
C 3 2 14 14 11 10 9 8 7 6
E Etc Etc Etc

I want to right a formula that will return the correct value in the table.
So if I enter A A then 14 if it is B A then 14 but if A B then 2. Any
idea's where I can start?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hI,

I have assumed the top left cell of your table is A1 and extends to J5

=INDEX(A1:J5, MATCH(K1,A1:A5,0), MATCH(L1,A1:J1,0))

Where

K1 is the value to lookup in column A
L1 is the value to look up in Row 1

--
Mike

question.

"excelrookie" wrote:

Looking for the correct Function

I have a table that looks sort of like this

A B C D E F G H I J

A 14 14 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4
B 2 14 14 11 10 9 8 7 6 5
C 3 2 14 14 11 10 9 8 7 6
E Etc Etc Etc

I want to right a formula that will return the correct value in the table.
So if I enter A A then 14 if it is B A then 14 but if A B then 2. Any
idea's where I can start?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Mike,

What is the 0 for? When I do this formula it is returning a Column or Row
Heading instead of a value?

=INDEX(H10:T22,MATCH(B19,I10:T10,0), MATCH(D19,H11:H22,0))

Instead of Letter in the columns and rows I have the 12 months across and
down.

When I put in Jan for KI and Mar for LI (in your formula it returned "Feb"

I know it's hard to tell when you can't see my worksheet, but any ideas?

Thanks