Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Reading Multiple Files

Good Morning,

I have a data base titled 'DISTRICT YEARLY ROLL-UP'.

This data base looks in a folder called 'NORTH BAY TIMMINS' for the name
'MARTIN114' and looks inside this folder for a file called 'REPORTCARD.XLS'
and finally reads a file called JAN at the location provided below.

=SUM('C:\NORTH BAY TIMMINS\MARTIN114\[REPORTCARD.XLS]JAN'!$D$14)

My question is the following;

There are more names than just 'MARTIN114' in the folder and I wanted to be
able to have my data base read the report card of all names at that location
(JAN'!$D$14)

Is there a way to tell my data base to read the values at JAN'!$D$14 from
all REPORTCARD.XLS from all folders within the 'NORTH BAY TIMMINS' folder?

Thank you in advance :P

-Bad
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I haven't tried this, but I would surmise that you could put the names of the
workbooks in cells, such as A1, A2, A3, and then reference those cells, as
such:
=SUM('C:\NORTH BAY TIMMINS\A1\[REPORTCARD.XLS]JAN'!$D$14)

Also, take a look at this:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/ado.htm

--
Ryan---

"BadBoy" wrote:

Good Morning,

I have a data base titled 'DISTRICT YEARLY ROLL-UP'.

This data base looks in a folder called 'NORTH BAY TIMMINS' for the name
'MARTIN114' and looks inside this folder for a file called 'REPORTCARD.XLS'
and finally reads a file called JAN at the location provided below.

=SUM('C:\NORTH BAY TIMMINS\MARTIN114\[REPORTCARD.XLS]JAN'!$D$14)

My question is the following;

There are more names than just 'MARTIN114' in the folder and I wanted to be
able to have my data base read the report card of all names at that location
(JAN'!$D$14)

Is there a way to tell my data base to read the values at JAN'!$D$14 from
all REPORTCARD.XLS from all folders within the 'NORTH BAY TIMMINS' folder?

Thank you in advance :P

-Bad

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Try the RDB Merge Addin - http://www.rondebruin.nl/merge.htm

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"BadBoy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you for your reply.

I was hoping to have a formula similar to the one I have posted. This way it
can go into the main folder, look through all other folders, find all report
cards, and sum the value at the address so that I can have a grand total
carried to my data base.

Is this not possible?

Test 1 through 3 are folders all containing 1 file called 'report card'.

=SUM('C:\NORTH BAY TIMMINS\TEST1,TEST2,TEST3\[REPORTCARD.XLS]Report
Card'!$D$14)

"BadBoy" wrote:

Good Morning,

I have a data base titled 'DISTRICT YEARLY ROLL-UP'.

This data base looks in a folder called 'NORTH BAY TIMMINS' for the name
'MARTIN114' and looks inside this folder for a file called 'REPORTCARD.XLS'
and finally reads a file called JAN at the location provided below.

=SUM('C:\NORTH BAY TIMMINS\MARTIN114\[REPORTCARD.XLS]JAN'!$D$14)

My question is the following;

There are more names than just 'MARTIN114' in the folder and I wanted to be
able to have my data base read the report card of all names at that location
(JAN'!$D$14)

Is there a way to tell my data base to read the values at JAN'!$D$14 from
all REPORTCARD.XLS from all folders within the 'NORTH BAY TIMMINS' folder?

Thank you in advance :P

-Bad

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Clairification:

=SUM('C:\NORTH BAY TIMMINS\FOLDER1\[REPORTCARD.XLS]Report
Card'!$D$14)

=SUM('C:\NORTH BAY TIMMINS\FOLDER2\[REPORTCARD.XLS]Report
Card'!$D$14)

=SUM('C:\NORTH BAY TIMMINS\FOLDER3\[REPORTCARD.XLS]Report
Card'!$D$14)

=SUM('C:\NORTH BAY TIMMINS\FOLDER4\[REPORTCARD.XLS]Report
Card'!$D$14)

=SUM('C:\NORTH BAY TIMMINS\FOLDER6\[REPORTCARD.XLS]Report
Card'!$D$14)

Is there a way to have all the formulas above captured in one formula
similar to below. FOLDER 1,2,3, etc are peoples names.

=SUM('C:\NORTH BAY
TIMMINS\FOLDER1,FOLDER2,FOLDER3,FOLDER4,FOLDER5,FO LDER6\[REPORTCARD.XLS]Report
Card'!$D$14)