Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Sig Figs

I am working with a series of complex equations. I need them to carry a
constant 4 significant figures throughout the entire spread sheet until it is
rounded at the end. My issue is that I cannot get them all to show.

IE:
1) 0.0389
2) 0.2345
These are two different values that hold two different significant figures.
How do I get excel to show all the sig figs since the rounding function
seems to be limited.
Thanks for all the help!

P.s. I dont know a lot about macros....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 01:33:01 -0800, Alterac
wrote:

I am working with a series of complex equations. I need them to carry a
constant 4 significant figures throughout the entire spread sheet until it is
rounded at the end. My issue is that I cannot get them all to show.

IE:
1) 0.0389
2) 0.2345
These are two different values that hold two different significant figures.
How do I get excel to show all the sig fig’s since the rounding function
seems to be limited.
Thanks for all the help!

P.s. I dont know a lot about macros....

Try this formula provided by Harlan Grove:

=--TEXT(A1,"."&REPT("0",SigDigits)&"E+000")

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

There may be a better way, but one way would be to use this formula:

=VALUE(TEXT(A2,"0.000E+00"))

The text function forces XL to use 4 significant digits and then because its
text, the rest of the value is forgotten. The text is then converted back to
a number.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Alterac" wrote:

I am working with a series of complex equations. I need them to carry a
constant 4 significant figures throughout the entire spread sheet until it is
rounded at the end. My issue is that I cannot get them all to show.

IE:
1) 0.0389
2) 0.2345
These are two different values that hold two different significant figures.
How do I get excel to show all the sig figs since the rounding function
seems to be limited.
Thanks for all the help!

P.s. I dont know a lot about macros....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Excel 2007
Engineering and scientific number formats.
Numbers stay numbers, no conversion to text.
Numbers not rounded, just format changes.
Four significant digits displayed, from Meg to Micro.
Macros.
http://c0444202.cdn.cloudfiles.racks.../01_12_10.xlsm