Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Search for Employee Names

Good Evening.
My spreadsheet contains data imported from an Oracle database. This
data is in text form in a single column and can run to many thousands
of rows. The data itself is a mix of numeric and alphabetical
characters, The string in each cell of varying lengths.
I need to find employee names contained within each text string. If
there were just one or two names to find I would either use 'FIND' or
use 'filter - contains' but there are hundreds!
Has anyone any ideas how I might tackle this problem?

My thanks for any responses.
Dave Moore
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Eva Eva is offline

Did you try using text to columns wizard? (Data/text to columns)? If there
are any delimiters it can help .
--
Greatly appreciated
Eva

"DaveMoore" wrote:

Good Evening.
My spreadsheet contains data imported from an Oracle database. This
data is in text form in a single column and can run to many thousands
of rows. The data itself is a mix of numeric and alphabetical
characters, The string in each cell of varying lengths.
I need to find employee names contained within each text string. If
there were just one or two names to find I would either use 'FIND' or
use 'filter - contains' but there are hundreds!
Has anyone any ideas how I might tackle this problem?

My thanks for any responses.
Dave Moore
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Post some representative examples of the cell contents.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP