Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Dynamic Range Defined by Value of Cell

I am just getting started with dynamic ranges. I have data as follows:

A B C
Product1 qty cost
Product2 qty cost
ProductN qty cost
TOTAL qtytot costtot

The number of products varies. There is other data below this that is
unrelated. How can I define a range dynamically that will always capture A:C
and as many rows up and including the first time it finds "TOTAL" in column A?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't know what you mean by "define a range" but this macro will provide
the address of the range. HTH Otto
Sub FindTOTAL()
Dim rColA As Range
Dim TotalRng As Range
Set rColA = Range("A2", Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
Set TotalRng = rColA.Find(What:="TOTAL", LookAt:=xlWhole)
Set TotalRng = Range("A2", TotalRng.Offset(, 2))
MsgBox TotalRng.Address
End Sub
"Domenick" wrote in message
I am just getting started with dynamic ranges. I have data as follows:

A B C
Product1 qty cost
Product2 qty cost
ProductN qty cost
TOTAL qtytot costtot

The number of products varies. There is other data below this that is
unrelated. How can I define a range dynamically that will always capture
A:C
and as many rows up and including the first time it finds "TOTAL" in
column A?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

How do you intend to use this range?

A1:INDEX(A:C,MATCH("Total",A:A,0),3)

That will define the range but by itself that really doesn't do anything.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Domenick" wrote in message
I am just getting started with dynamic ranges. I have data as follows:

A B C
Product1 qty cost
Product2 qty cost
ProductN qty cost
TOTAL qtytot costtot

The number of products varies. There is other data below this that is
unrelated. How can I define a range dynamically that will always capture
A:C
and as many rows up and including the first time it finds "TOTAL" in
column A?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I my macro, I currently have :

Range("A8:af105").Select
Selection.Copy

Which always selects the same number of rows. I want to change this to
select A8 through af"?" where "?" is the row number of the first row that has
"TOTAL" in column A.

Is that a little clearer?

"Domenick" wrote in message
I am just getting started with dynamic ranges. I have data as follows:

A B C
Product1 qty cost
Product2 qty cost
ProductN qty cost
TOTAL qtytot costtot

The number of products varies. There is other data below this that is
unrelated. How can I define a range dynamically that will always capture
A:C
and as many rows up and including the first time it finds "TOTAL" in
column A?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm not the best programmer but Otto's code will do what you want with a few
tweaks.

Dim rColA As Range
Dim TotalRng As Range
Set rColA = Range("A8", Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
Set TotalRng = rColA.Find(What:="TOTAL", LookAt:=xlWhole)
Set TotalRng = Range("A8", TotalRng.Offset(, 31))
TotalRng.Copy
Range("G2").Select 'change this to the paste destination
ActiveSheet.Paste
Application.CutCopyMode = False 'kills the "marching ants"

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Domenick" wrote in message
I am just getting started with dynamic ranges. I have data as follows:

A B C
Product1 qty cost
Product2 qty cost
ProductN qty cost
TOTAL qtytot costtot

The number of products varies. There is other data below this that is
unrelated. How can I define a range dynamically that will always
capture
A:C