Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Return Names From List

Greetings,

This should be simple, but the solution escapes me.

I have a fixed length column (19 Rows).
In this column I have a list of names, I use a formula to fill in these
cells and the list and order of names will not change, only how many and the
combination of the names that appear.
This list can consist of anywhere from 2 to 16 entries, (most of the time
only 2 to 4 entries), the empty cells can be numbers or blank.

What I need is to return each name that appears in the list individually to
insert into a seperate "index(match" formula to retrieve a value from a table
using the names as column and row coordinates, (which I understand how to do).

I hope I have explained this enough, thanks in advance for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm afraid you lost me in the last paragraph. =(
Could you provide an example of the data you have, and what you're wanting
it to look like?
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"DeeCee" wrote:

Greetings,

This should be simple, but the solution escapes me.

I have a fixed length column (19 Rows).
In this column I have a list of names, I use a formula to fill in these
cells and the list and order of names will not change, only how many and the
combination of the names that appear.
This list can consist of anywhere from 2 to 16 entries, (most of the time
only 2 to 4 entries), the empty cells can be numbers or blank.

What I need is to return each name that appears in the list individually to
insert into a seperate "index(match" formula to retrieve a value from a table
using the names as column and row coordinates, (which I understand how to do).

I hope I have explained this enough, thanks in advance for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi there.
The array formula below assumes your data are in the range A1:A19. You may
want to adjust it to your actual data range:

=ÍNDICE(A1:A19;MENOR(SE(ÉTEXTO(A1:A19);LIN(A1:A1 9);LINS(A:A)+1);LIN(DESLOC(A1;0;0;E1;1)));1) SHIFT + CTRL + ENTER

Do not forget to finalize your formula by pressing SHIFT + CTRL + ENTER as
it is an array formula.

In order to see the formula results (instead of using it in another
formula), you should enter it as an array formula in a range with, at least,
19 rows.

Regards,
Otávio