-   -   Totaling VLookup (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/249649-totaling-vlookup.html)

jhillman

Totaling VLookup

I am trying to get a total of items in a list by category using vlookup.
I have a list of 20 different transactions, there might be 8 of them that
are one specific category and I want those to total. My current Vlookup
formula is this: =(VLOOKUP($I3,$C$3:$E$15,2,FALSE)) and this gives me the
first amount in my array, but I want it to give me a total of all amounts in
my array with the specific category.

Luke M

Totaling VLookup

Wrong function. Try this:

=SUMIF($C3:$C15,$I3,$D3:$D15)
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"jhillman" wrote:

I am trying to get a total of items in a list by category using vlookup.
I have a list of 20 different transactions, there might be 8 of them that
are one specific category and I want those to total. My current Vlookup
formula is this: =(VLOOKUP($I3,$C$3:$E$15,2,FALSE)) and this gives me the
first amount in my array, but I want it to give me a total of all amounts in
my array with the specific category.

Pete_UK

Totaling VLookup

Try this instead: