Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Totaling VLookup

I am trying to get a total of items in a list by category using vlookup.
I have a list of 20 different transactions, there might be 8 of them that
are one specific category and I want those to total. My current Vlookup
formula is this: =(VLOOKUP($I3,$C$3:$E$15,2,FALSE)) and this gives me the
first amount in my array, but I want it to give me a total of all amounts in
my array with the specific category.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Wrong function. Try this:

=SUMIF($C3:$C15,$I3,$D3:$D15)
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"jhillman" wrote:

I am trying to get a total of items in a list by category using vlookup.
I have a list of 20 different transactions, there might be 8 of them that
are one specific category and I want those to total. My current Vlookup
formula is this: =(VLOOKUP($I3,$C$3:$E$15,2,FALSE)) and this gives me the
first amount in my array, but I want it to give me a total of all amounts in
my array with the specific category.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this instead:

=SUMIF($C$3:$C$15,$I3,$D$3:$D$15)