Maxwell

Default how to use Excel to generate alphabet serially

please how can I generate A B C to Z serially and automatically in Excel
workbook?
Ragdyer

Create a "Custom List" and you'll be able to autofill it.

For some reason, Redmond chose not to include the alphabet in the default
custom lists file, but you can easily do it yourself.

Key in the alphabet down a column.
Case doesn't matter, since XL will duplicate the autofill in whatever case
you initiated the sequence.

Select the range containing the letters, and then:

<Tools <Options <CustomLists,
And since the cells were selected, the address of the range is automatically
entered in the import window, so just click <Import <OK.

--
HTH,

RD

"Maxwell" wrote in message
please how can I generate A B C to Z serially and automatically in Excel
workbook?

Max

Another way to try ..

Filling A - Z down
-------------
Put in any starting cell:
=CHAR(ROWS($A$1:A1)+64)
Copy down 26 rows

Filling A - Z across
-------------
Put in any starting cell:
=CHAR(COLUMNS($A$1:A1)+64)
Copy across 26 cols

--
Rgds
Max
"Maxwell" wrote in message
please how can I generate A B C to Z serially and automatically in Excel
workbook?

Max

=CHAR(ROWS($A$1:A1)+64)
=CHAR(COLUMNS($A$1:A1)+64)

If you want the fill in lower case: a - z
just change the "64" to "96" in the formulas above

--
Rgds
Max
GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
xdemechanik <atyahoo<dotcom
----

Duke Carey

Max -

Just a little shorter version of each
=CHAR(ROW(A1)+64)
=CHAR(COLUMN(A1)+64)

"Max" wrote in message
Another way to try ..

Filling A - Z down
-------------
Put in any starting cell:
=CHAR(ROWS($A$1:A1)+64)
Copy down 26 rows

Filling A - Z across
-------------
Put in any starting cell:
=CHAR(COLUMNS($A$1:A1)+64)
Copy across 26 cols

--
Rgds
Max
"Maxwell" wrote in message
please how can I generate A B C to Z serially and automatically in Excel
workbook?

Max

Duke, thanks. The slightly longer versions were to make it a little more
robust, in case new rows / columns are inserted above / left of the starting
cell subsequently. It's something I picked up here along the way, which has
since got a little "stuck-on" as a personal practice, I guess <g
--
Rgds
Max
"Duke Carey" <duke_No_Junk_carey_at_hotmail.com wrote in message
Max -

Just a little shorter version of each
=CHAR(ROW(A1)+64)
=CHAR(COLUMN(A1)+64)

RagDyeR

BTW - FWIW,

None of these formula solutions will *automatically* work (be imported) into
Custom Lists.
You have to clear the formulas from the cells before XL will accept them
into a list.

Now, the OP asked for A ... Z

I think keying in 26 letters down a column *AIN'T* really that difficult.

What do you think?<bg

RD

"Max" wrote in message
Duke, thanks. The slightly longer versions were to make it a little more
robust, in case new rows / columns are inserted above / left of the starting
cell subsequently. It's something I picked up here along the way, which has
since got a little "stuck-on" as a personal practice, I guess <g
--
Rgds
Max
xl 97
---
GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
xdemechanik <atyahoo<dotcom
----
"Duke Carey" <duke_No_Junk_carey_at_hotmail.com wrote in message
Max -

Just a little shorter version of each
=CHAR(ROW(A1)+64)
=CHAR(COLUMN(A1)+64)

Max

"RagDyeR" wrote
... keying in 26 letters down a column *AIN'T* really that difficult.
What do you think?<bg

Agreed <g , albeit it'll take me all of between 30 - 45 secs to get it down
right
(gotta hunt for the durned alphas on the keyboard, they're scattered all
over the place !)
--
Rgds
Max
GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
xdemechanik <atyahoo<dotcom
----

Debra Dalgleish

For the alphabet challenged <g:

Turn on Caps Lock
Type a Q, press Enter
Continue across the keyboard, to type all the letters in a column
Select a cell in the list, and click the A-Z button on the Excel toolbar

Max wrote:
"RagDyeR" wrote

... keying in 26 letters down a column *AIN'T* really that difficult.
What do you think?<bg

Agreed <g , albeit it'll take me all of between 30 - 45 secs to get it down
right
(gotta hunt for the durned alphas on the keyboard, they're scattered all
over the place !)
--
Rgds
Max
xl 97
---
GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
xdemechanik <atyahoo<dotcom
----

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Max

Aha ... That *did* help bring it down
to slightly under 30 secs flat, all-in, Debra! <bg
--
Rgds
Max