Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default vlookup and sum- to lookup a name and return and sum of all instan

Hi there,
I have a table with the hours that employees have worked (as shown below)and
I need to sum all hours. There are numerous entries for each employee and so
I need a formula that will look for the name in column a and then I need to
sum all hours entered in column B next to that name.

Please advise :-)

Name B C D
adelle 22.50 16.00 1.00
Alice 82.25 79.25 0.00
Alice 19.75 18.75 0.00
Alice 19.75 18.75 0.00
Aqsa 35.00 32.25 0.00
Chen 49.75 49.25 1.00
Chen 19.25 17.75 0.00

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try

=SUMIF(A:A,"adelle",B:B)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"pumpkin" wrote:

Hi there,
I have a table with the hours that employees have worked (as shown below)and
I need to sum all hours. There are numerous entries for each employee and so
I need a formula that will look for the name in column a and then I need to
sum all hours entered in column B next to that name.

Please advise :-)

Name B C D
adelle 22.50 16.00 1.00
Alice 82.25 79.25 0.00
Alice 19.75 18.75 0.00
Alice 19.75 18.75 0.00
Aqsa 35.00 32.25 0.00
Chen 49.75 49.25 1.00
Chen 19.25 17.75 0.00

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default vlookup and sum- to lookup a name and return and sum of all in

Brilliant thanks Jacob :-)

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

Try

=SUMIF(A:A,"adelle",B:B)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"pumpkin" wrote:

Hi there,
I have a table with the hours that employees have worked (as shown below)and
I need to sum all hours. There are numerous entries for each employee and so
I need a formula that will look for the name in column a and then I need to
sum all hours entered in column B next to that name.

Please advise :-)

Name B C D
adelle 22.50 16.00 1.00
Alice 82.25 79.25 0.00
Alice 19.75 18.75 0.00
Alice 19.75 18.75 0.00
Aqsa 35.00 32.25 0.00
Chen 49.75 49.25 1.00
Chen 19.25 17.75 0.00

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You may also create a pivot table. Drag employee name to the row area and
hours to the data area.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com