Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Eliminate Duplicate Entries in Order to Create Labels Using Mail M

Using Excel 2003
I have a spreadsheet that has several hundred rows and 5 columns. I want to
do a mail merge and create labels with the records. The problem Im having is
that there are many rows of data that are duplicates. FYI - If there is a
duplicate entry, all of the columns will be the same data, not just one
column.

First I went to Data Filter Advanced Filter Filter the List, in-place
Unique Records Only. It then hid the rows with the duplicate data. When I

do a mail merge to create some labels, it includes my duplicate records
(hidden rows) and I dont want that.

Is there a better way to do this? What I really need to do is delete the
duplicates and not just hide them. That way they will not be included in the

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks, Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Karen -

With the records filtered to unique ones, copy the data and paste it into a
new worksheet. Then drive your mail merge off the new worksheet.
--
Daryl S

"Karen" wrote:

Using Excel 2003
I have a spreadsheet that has several hundred rows and 5 columns. I want to
do a mail merge and create labels with the records. The problem Im having is
that there are many rows of data that are duplicates. FYI - If there is a
duplicate entry, all of the columns will be the same data, not just one
column.

First I went to Data Filter Advanced Filter Filter the List, in-place
Unique Records Only. It then hid the rows with the duplicate data. When I

do a mail merge to create some labels, it includes my duplicate records
(hidden rows) and I dont want that.

Is there a better way to do this? What I really need to do is delete the
duplicates and not just hide them. That way they will not be included in the

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks, Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Eliminate Duplicate Entries in Order to Create Labels Using Ma

Thank You!
It worked like a charm!
Have a great day, Karen

"Karen" wrote:

Using Excel 2003
I have a spreadsheet that has several hundred rows and 5 columns. I want to
do a mail merge and create labels with the records. The problem Im having is
that there are many rows of data that are duplicates. FYI - If there is a
duplicate entry, all of the columns will be the same data, not just one
column.

First I went to Data Filter Advanced Filter Filter the List, in-place
Unique Records Only. It then hid the rows with the duplicate data. When I

do a mail merge to create some labels, it includes my duplicate records
(hidden rows) and I dont want that.

Is there a better way to do this? What I really need to do is delete the
duplicates and not just hide them. That way they will not be included in the

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks, Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Instead of "Filter the list in place", select "Copy to another location"

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com