John Whitehead via OfficeKB.com

Default Read data from anohter XLS file

Does anyone know how to read data from another Excel XLS file and copy it
into a new Excel XLS file?

Thanks,
John
Peo Sjoblom

Your question is not clear to me? What exactly do you want to do? You can
just copy over data, or you can use formulas to extract data from another
workbook..

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"John Whitehead via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

Does anyone know how to read data from another Excel XLS file and copy it
into a new Excel XLS file?

Thanks,
John

John Whitehead via OfficeKB.com

Peo Sjoblom,
What I want is this:
File 1 will read all the data from File 2 and place the data into
File 1.
File 1 will sort the data.
Thanks,
John
Harlan Grove

John Whitehead via OfficeKB.com wrote...
Does anyone know how to read data from another Excel XLS file and copy

it
into a new Excel XLS file?

Opening both files, copying from one and pasting into the other isn't
an option for you?

John Whitehead via OfficeKB.com

I would like the Excel spreadsheet to do this. The person I'm trying to
help needs to take classes on Excel.
Thanks,
John

Harlan Grove

John Whitehead via OfficeKB.com wrote...
I would like the Excel spreadsheet to do this. The person I'm trying

help needs to take classes on Excel.

You could pull in data with formulas like

=IF(ISBLANK('X:\Y\[Z.xls]SomeSheet'!A1),"",'X:\Y\[Z.xls]SomeSheet'!A1)

Pulling data by formula or copy/paste are your only alternatives.

Justin

Biff suggested I check out responses on this as there may be a VBA routine
that does this. I want to take the formula below and in place of the file
name have a variable value that looks up the data on another workbook while
it is closed.
example:
A1 = June.xls
B1 = =IF(ISBLANK('X:\Y\[A1]SomeSheet'!A1),"",'X:\Y\[A1]SomeSheet'!A1)

the value in A1 can potentially change depending on other factors within the
active sheet. But the value in B1 is always based off of the file name in
A1. I would prefer to do this in a formula or array if at all possible
instead of setting a VBA routine to enter this formula everytime the page is
opened.