Doreen

Default Sum numbers based on the contents of another cell

I have a simple spreadsheet with one column showing amounts owed that I need
to bill. At the bottom of the column I sum the total amounts. In the adjacent
column I've started to put the invoice numbers for the ones that have been
billed. I'd like to write a formula that would:
Look at "column e" and
if it's not empty (meaning there's no invoice # there)
add the amount given in "column d"

This way I can subtract that total amount (which has been billed) from the
total amount owed at the bottom...that's where I would like to put the result
of this formula.

I'm sorry if I'm not explaining this well and I thank everyone for their help.

JulieD

Hi Doreen

only slightly confused by the sentance
if it's not empty (meaning there's no invoice # there)

this formula will sum column D if there is something in in column E
=SUMIF(E:E,"<"&"",D:D)

this formula will sum column D if there is nothing in column E
=SUMIF(E:E,"",D:D)

(the "" are two double quotes with no space between)

--
Cheers
JulieD
"Doreen" wrote in message
I have a simple spreadsheet with one column showing amounts owed that I
need
to bill. At the bottom of the column I sum the total amounts. In the
adjacent
column I've started to put the invoice numbers for the ones that have been
billed. I'd like to write a formula that would:
Look at "column e" and
if it's not empty (meaning there's no invoice # there)
add the amount given in "column d"

This way I can subtract that total amount (which has been billed) from the
total amount owed at the bottom...that's where I would like to put the
result
of this formula.

I'm sorry if I'm not explaining this well and I thank everyone for their
help.

Doreen

Julie, thanks for your help, but I don't think that's quite it. If I
understand your formulas, they're adding up all the amounts in column D (or
not). Hmmm let me try this again:
I have a column with $ amounts in it (D) and a column where I'm typing
invoice #s when the money owed is billed (E).

I would like the formula to look at *one* cell in column e and, if there's
an invoice # in it (text) add the corresponding $ amount shown in column D.

This way I can manipulate information...how much has been billed, still
needs to be billed.
Any help?
Doreen

"Doreen" wrote in message
I have a simple spreadsheet with one column showing amounts owed that I
need
to bill. At the bottom of the column I sum the total amounts. In the
adjacent
column I've started to put the invoice numbers for the ones that have been
billed. I'd like to write a formula that would:
Look at "column e" and
if it's not empty (meaning there's no invoice # there)
add the amount given in "column d"

This way I can subtract that total amount (which has been billed) from the
total amount owed at the bottom...that's where I would like to put the
result
of this formula.

I'm sorry if I'm not explaining this well and I thank everyone for their
help.

JulieD

Hi Doreen

what do you mean by "add the corresponding $ amount shown in column D"
say you have D4 with $100, in E4 you have an Invoice Number

where/what do you want this $100 to be added to?

--
Cheers
JulieD

"Doreen" wrote in message
[...]

Doreen

Well, this is a secondary problem because the first cell "D4" won't have
another number added to it. So can I use "0"...that wouldn't change the
result of the formula....

Again...I have a column D with dollar amounts in it...and column E with
invoice numbers and blank cells. I'd like to look at column E and
say:"Invoice in column E, add corresponding $amount in column D. No invoice
shown? Skip it."

I don't care where the total/sum of all $amounts for invoices is put.

I think it might have to be a nested IF or an array formula but, even though
I looked and read about them, they're over my head.

If you can point me in the right direction I'll be thrilled to try and work
along with you. I feel bad that you're working so hard...I feel like I'm
"dumping" this on you.
I really appreciate your help and the chance to learn something more about
formulas.
Doreen

"Doreen" wrote in message
[...]

JulieD

Hi Doreen

sorry i keep coming back to the original formulas i gave you - have you
tried them?

alternatively, do you want to email me your workbook so i can have a look -
send it direct to julied_ng at hcts dot net dot au , it's now 11.40pm so
i probably won't get to it until tomorrow.

--
Cheers
JulieD