Doreen

Julie, thanks for your help, but I don't think that's quite it. If I
understand your formulas, they're adding up all the amounts in column D (or
not). Hmmm let me try this again:
I have a column with $ amounts in it (D) and a column where I'm typing
invoice #s when the money owed is billed (E).

I would like the formula to look at *one* cell in column e and, if there's
an invoice # in it (text) add the corresponding $ amount shown in column D.

This way I can manipulate information...how much has been billed, still
needs to be billed.
Any help?
Doreen

"JulieD" wrote:

Hi Doreen

only slightly confused by the sentance
if it's not empty (meaning there's no invoice # there)

this formula will sum column D if there is something in in column E
=SUMIF(E:E,"<"&"",D:D)

this formula will sum column D if there is nothing in column E
=SUMIF(E:E,"",D:D)

(the "" are two double quotes with no space between)

--
Cheers
JulieD
"Doreen" wrote in message
I have a simple spreadsheet with one column showing amounts owed that I
need
to bill. At the bottom of the column I sum the total amounts. In the
adjacent
column I've started to put the invoice numbers for the ones that have been
billed. I'd like to write a formula that would:
Look at "column e" and
if it's not empty (meaning there's no invoice # there)
add the amount given in "column d"

This way I can subtract that total amount (which has been billed) from the
total amount owed at the bottom...that's where I would like to put the
result
of this formula.

I'm sorry if I'm not explaining this well and I thank everyone for their
help.