Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Pivot Table or lookup?

It sounds like an advanced filter might work well for your application. You
can use an advanced filter to copy a subset of data from a larger set of data
to another sheet. Debra Dalgleish has instructions on her Contextures site:

http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html

Hope this helps,

Hutch

"CellShocked" wrote:

I have a list of 633 thousand entries that ties a movie number with all
the actors that were in it for about 166 thousand movie titles (numbers).

I want to reference that movie number, and extract a table or list of
only those entries that match that number from this list of all entries.

The returned list will be a list of numbers, which I will then derive a
list of names from an "actor's" sheet. This keeps the data set (file
size) smaller.

Movie_num Actor_num

1 22345
1 38425
2 12345
2 23456
2 34567
3 45678
3 56789
3 67890
3 78901

And then later...

Actor_num Actor_name

This one I can do.Those are just single lookups.

I just do not know how to extract a short list from a longer list.
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well, I want the lookup, AND the "copying" of the result to happen ON
the sheet I am in, grabbing the data from another sheet.

Examine this image to see where I have made lookups, and where I lack.
At the bottom of the screenshot, as usual, you can see the sheet names I
have used.

This should be a simple function not unlike one dropdown list that
relies on the selection made in another. That is really all I want,
except that instead of a drop down list, I simply want the list carried
into my sheet.

The image should make it obvious.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h.../screensht.jpg

"CellShocked" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 01:00:02 -0800, WallyWallWhackr
<wallywallwhackr@thematrixattheendofthemushroomste m.org wrote:

Well, I want the lookup, AND the "copying" of the result to happen ON
the sheet I am in, grabbing the data from another sheet.

Examine this image to see where I have made lookups, and where I lack.
At the bottom of the screenshot, as usual, you can see the sheet names I
have used.

This should be a simple function not unlike one dropdown list that
relies on the selection made in another. That is really all I want,
except that instead of a drop down list, I simply want the list carried
into my sheet.

The image should make it obvious.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h.../screensht.jpg

Isn't selective assistance always nice?