Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Help with formula (decimal to fraction)

I'd like to be able to convert decimal to fraction of an inch. IOW I
have calculated, from the circumference, the diameter (d=c/3.14) and
would like to show the actual inches instead of the decimal
equivalent. 6.250 decimal would display 6 1/4, 6.375 decimal would
display 6 3/8.

Thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 07:54:42 -0500, Jack Deuce
wrote:

I'd like to be able to convert decimal to fraction of an inch. IOW I
have calculated, from the circumference, the diameter (d=c/3.14) and
would like to show the actual inches instead of the decimal
equivalent. 6.250 decimal would display 6 1/4, 6.375 decimal would
display 6 3/8.

Thanks in advance

If you want the result to display to the closest 1/8, but to show as 1/4 3/8
etc., you should ROUND to the nearest 1/8 and then select a format that shows
at least one digit. (2 digits if you want to round to 1/16 1/32 or 1/64)

So with your circumference in A1, somehting like:

=ROUND(A1/PI()*8,0)/8

or

=MROUND(A1/PI(),1/8) (requires ATP or Excel 2007+)

For 16ths:

=ROUND(A1/PI()*16,0)/16
--ron