Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default LOOKUP Function gives wrong results

I have the following sheet:
A B C D E F
1 qwe rtz uio asd fgh jkl
2 1 2 3 4 5 6
3
4 qwe =LOOKUP(A4;$A$1:$K$2)

The function in B4 should return "1", but it returns "6". The value changes
if I delete some columns (e.g. if I delete columns D,E, and F, I get a
correct value).
When I am using just "a", "b", "c" instead names like "qwe", "rtz",... I get
the correct values. What am I doing wrong?
I am using XP and Excel 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Is this what your trying to do

=HLOOKUP(A4,$A$1:F$2,2,FALSE)

Mike

"AndreasW" wrote:

I have the following sheet:
A B C D E F
1 qwe rtz uio asd fgh jkl
2 1 2 3 4 5 6
3
4 qwe =LOOKUP(A4;$A$1:$K$2)

The function in B4 should return "1", but it returns "6". The value changes
if I delete some columns (e.g. if I delete columns D,E, and F, I get a
correct value).
When I am using just "a", "b", "c" instead names like "qwe", "rtz",... I get
the correct values. What am I doing wrong?
I am using XP and Excel 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Try this