Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Visibility of newsgroup postings

On Oct 20, 2:32*am, "T. Valko" wrote:
The duration varies from hours to several days. A week is unusual.

I noticed the problem just about when you noted it and posted this general
heads up message:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...isc/browse_thr...

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"T. Valko" *wrote in message:

This seems to happen about once a month.

and it lasts a week each time?

Regards,
Peter T- Hide quoted text -

So what about the innocent question I posted (successfully I was told)
in the name of Weatherman on Sunday, concerning arbitrary X axes used
by Excel when I mix column and scatter on the same chart? Does this
mean it may have been answered somewhere and I can't see it?

Confused!

Weatherman
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Weatherman" wrote in message
"
So what about the innocent question I posted (successfully I was told)
in the name of Weatherman on Sunday, concerning arbitrary X axes used
by Excel when I mix column and scatter on the same chart? Does this
mean it may have been answered somewhere and I can't see it?

Confused!

Weatherman
"

I can't see any new threads from "Weatherman" on 19-Oct to any of the 4
groups I cross posted this to. Looks like you posted this through
google-groups which is effectively NTTP. If you had posted similarly it
should have got through and you should have been able to see all replies.

Which excel group did you post to, what sender name, and what was the
subject line. Also how did you post (eg via google-groups).

People posting through Webnews (see link in my OP) will probably not have
seen replies sent via NTTP. That's irritating both for them (not that
they'll know) and for those who have taken the trouble to reply.

Recently it seems that old NTTP are starting to trickle through to WebNews.
At least some have arrived but many still missing.

Regards,
Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What is the best way (or ways) to read and post to this newsgroup?

I ordinarily use groups.google.com/group/
microsoft.public.excel.programming,
but it seems to have its problems, too.

How does one use Firefox?

Brian
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi David,

Right on both counts, clearly you've got a much better eye for detail than
me <g

Regards,
Peter T

"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Brian -

In the past I have used Outlook Express on Windows XP.

Now I use its replacement, Windows Mail on Windows Vista.

I can't recall ever having any problems with either one.

- Mike
http://www.MikeMiddleton.com

"Brian Murphy" wrote in message
What is the best way (or ways) to read and post to this newsgroup?

I ordinarily use groups.google.com/group/
microsoft.public.excel.programming,
but it seems to have its problems, too.

How does one use Firefox?

Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Actually Brian it was you that alerted me to this ng problem when you
pointed out a few days ago nothing from an entire thread had appeared in
WebNews.

I thought google groups was working OK but looks like Weatherman's post
didn't make it. However *searching* google groups hasn't worked correctly
for most of this year.

I hesitate to recommend a "best way". I use mainly Outlook Express in WinXP
and occasionally Windows Mail in Vista. I don't have Firefox but assume
you'd set up a news account in pretty much the same way -

Tools, Accounts, Add, News....
This sets up a new "account", in particular need to add as Server -
"msnews.microsoft.com" without quotes

complete other fields as required, display name, address (eg
" or if happy your full address (I include mine
disguised in the reply-to field).

After adding the account you should see "msnews.microsoft.com" as a folder,
select that, then find and subscribe to your favourite groups.

Regards,
Peter T

"Brian Murphy" wrote in message
What is the best way (or ways) to read and post to this newsgroup?

I ordinarily use groups.google.com/group/
microsoft.public.excel.programming,
but it seems to have its problems, too.

How does one use Firefox?

Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Firefox is not a newsreader, it's a web browser. You could use it to access
Google, just as you can use any other web browser.
The news reader from the mozilla stable is Thunderbird.

Many of us use Outlook Express, but it's a matter of preference.
--
David Biddulph

"Brian Murphy" wrote in message
What is the best way (or ways) to read and post to this newsgroup?

I ordinarily use groups.google.com/group/
microsoft.public.excel.programming,
but it seems to have its problems, too.

How does one use Firefox?

Brian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"David Biddulph" wrote in message news:4addcf55

Firefox is not a newsreader, it's a web browser. The news reader from the
mozilla stable is Thunderbird.

Pointing out my misinformation yet again!

Regards,
Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I use Thunderbird, a dedicated mail/news (NNTP) client. I don't use it
at all for mail, but it beats OE/WM and any of the web interfaces.
Especially the Microsoft web interface, which has always been a joke.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/

David Biddulph wrote:
Firefox is not a newsreader, it's a web browser. You could use it to access
Google, just as you can use any other web browser.
The news reader from the mozilla stable is Thunderbird.

Many of us use Outlook Express, but it's a matter of preference.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.charting,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

A long time ago I used OE. For at least the past several years I've
been using Google's front end. But the search problems over the past
several months have me looking for something that works. Searching
the group archives with confidence is a top priority for me.

It used to be OE would only "search" what you had downloaded locally,
that led to my using Google.

I guess I should give OE on XP another look, since that is what I use
for email.

What does Thunderbird do when searching? Does it search on a server
somewhere?

Brian