-   -   random numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/245830-random-numbers.html)

afdmello

random numbers

I have organized a quiz and decided on rewarding 10 correct entries.
I have made a list of the staff ID and the corresponding name of all the
correct entries.

Is there a way I can get any ten staff IDs from the list at random?

Lars-Åke Aspelin[_2_]

random numbers

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 17:21:37 +0300, "afdmello"
wrote:

I have organized a quiz and decided on rewarding 10 correct entries.
I have made a list of the staff ID and the corresponding name of all the
correct entries.

Is there a way I can get any ten staff IDs from the list at random?

If your names are in column A enter the following formula in cell B1:
=RAND()
copy the formula down as far as you have names in column A.

Finally sort columns A and B. (Use Sort by Column B).
Then winners are the 10 top names in column A.

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke

afdmello

random numbers

Thank you Lars,

Can I execute the suggestions by you by the press of a button or key like a
macro.
afd
wrote:

I have organized a quiz and decided on rewarding 10 correct entries.
I have made a list of the staff ID and the corresponding name of all the
correct entries.

Is there a way I can get any ten staff IDs from the list at random?

If your names are in column A enter the following formula in cell B1:
=RAND()
copy the formula down as far as you have names in column A.

Finally sort columns A and B. (Use Sort by Column B).
Then winners are the 10 top names in column A.

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke

Bernd P

random numbers

Hello,