-   -   Number stored as text (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/245418-number-stored-text.html)

Ana via OfficeKB.com

Number stored as text

Hi!
I want to make a Custom list in order to sort some data. I have this problem
now - I can't make a Custom list of numbers but only of text cells. So, when
I try to make text out of my numbers, I can't do it otherwise but to type it
again, and that's a list of 500 numbers and it is difficult. So, is there a
simpler way of turning numbers into the text???
Ana

Per Jessen

Number stored as text

Hi Ana

Select the column with Custom numbers, then format the cells as 'Text'

Regards,
Per

"Ana via OfficeKB.com" <u51486@uwe skrev i meddelelsen
Hi!
I want to make a Custom list in order to sort some data. I have this
problem
now - I can't make a Custom list of numbers but only of text cells. So,
when
I try to make text out of my numbers, I can't do it otherwise but to type
it
again, and that's a list of 500 numbers and it is difficult. So, is there
simpler way of turning numbers into the text???
Ana

abolen via OfficeKB.com

Number stored as text

Ok, that is obviously NOT working. I do that but when I try to make custom
list out of that kind of text, it just is not working. Try it.

David Biddulph[_2_]

Number stored as text

You might try Data/ Text to Columns
Alternatively, you could copy a blank cell, then select your text numbers,
and Edit/ Paste Special/ Add.
If those don't work, you might need to look at your text in detail to see
what sort of spaces, non-breaking spaces, or other characters are in there
and need replacing.
--
David Biddulph