Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Loan Principal Payments

I have a series of loans I am trying to calcluate the principal portion of
the payment for. I have maturity date, interest rate, payment frequency, and
current loan balance. I need to know how to calculate the remaining
principal payments by month. If i use the PPMT function, can i use this, my
starting point as my first period, even though it is not the first period of
the loan. i do not have the loan origination date. thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes, you can use the PPMT function.

Knowing the current balance, interest rate, frequency and term (which you
can calculate from maturity date) is all you need. It's just as if you took
out a loan today with exactly these parameters. PPMT would, of course, work
in the latter care, and will therefore work in the former.

Regards,
Fred.