Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Min/Max of Numbers as Text

I have a list of identification codes that are five digit numbers but will
always be treated as text. For example,

'00020
'00015
'00025
'00050
'00035

I need a worksheet function that will tell me the MIN and MAX of these codes
(evaluating the text as numbers). In this example I know that MIN=00015 and
MAX=00050. However, the actual list will contain hundreds or thousands of
codes. I need the solution to be a function. Sorting or filtering to
manually find the MIN/MAX will not work for me. I'm sure I'm not the first
person to encounter this so I am hoping someone can help me. Thanks so much.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try the below array formula. you press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter the formula.
If successful in 'Formula Bar' you can notice the curly braces at both ends
like "{=<formula}"

=MIN(IF(A1:A10<"",VALUE(A1:A10)))

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Todd" wrote:

I have a list of identification codes that are five digit numbers but will
always be treated as text. For example,

'00020
'00015
'00025
'00050
'00035

I need a worksheet function that will tell me the MIN and MAX of these codes
(evaluating the text as numbers). In this example I know that MIN=00015 and
MAX=00050. However, the actual list will contain hundreds or thousands of
codes. I need the solution to be a function. Sorting or filtering to
manually find the MIN/MAX will not work for me. I'm sure I'm not the first
person to encounter this so I am hoping someone can help me. Thanks so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Try something like this ..
array-entered (ie press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to confirm the formula):
=TEXT(MIN(A1:A5+0),"00000")
=TEXT(MAX(A1:A5+0),"00000")
voila? hit the YES below
--
Max
Singapore
"Todd" wrote:
I have a list of identification codes that are five digit numbers but will
always be treated as text. For example,

'00020
'00015
'00025
'00050
'00035

I need a worksheet function that will tell me the MIN and MAX of these codes
(evaluating the text as numbers). In this example I know that MIN=00015 and
MAX=00050. However, the actual list will contain hundreds or thousands of
codes. I need the solution to be a function. Sorting or filtering to
manually find the MIN/MAX will not work for me. I'm sure I'm not the first
person to encounter this so I am hoping someone can help me. Thanks so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Your formula did the trick. However, another posting had a slightly more
simplified formula that achieves the same result (see below).

=TEXT(MIN(A1:A5+0),"00000")
=TEXT(MAX(A1:A5+0),"00000")

Thanks so much!

"Teethless mama" wrote:

=TEXT(MIN(INDEX(A1:A5+0,)),"00000")

Just press ENTER

"Todd" wrote:

I have a list of identification codes that are five digit numbers but will
always be treated as text. For example,

'00020
'00015
'00025
'00050
'00035

I need a worksheet function that will tell me the MIN and MAX of these codes
(evaluating the text as numbers). In this example I know that MIN=00015 and
MAX=00050. However, the actual list will contain hundreds or thousands of
codes. I need the solution to be a function. Sorting or filtering to
manually find the MIN/MAX will not work for me. I'm sure I'm not the first
person to encounter this so I am hoping someone can help me. Thanks so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Your formula comes very close except it returns the result as a value and I
need to keep the result text. Another response gave me the formulas below
that keep the result as text. Thought I would share it with you. Thank you
very much for your help.

=TEXT(MIN(A1:A5+0),"00000")
=TEXT(MAX(A1:A5+0),"00000")

"Todd" wrote:

I have a list of identification codes that are five digit numbers but will
always be treated as text. For example,

'00020
'00015
'00025
'00050
'00035

I need a worksheet function that will tell me the MIN and MAX of these codes
(evaluating the text as numbers). In this example I know that MIN=00015 and
MAX=00050. However, the actual list will contain hundreds or thousands of
codes. I need the solution to be a function. Sorting or filtering to
manually find the MIN/MAX will not work for me. I'm sure I'm not the first
person to encounter this so I am hoping someone can help me. Thanks so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=TEXT(MIN(A1:A5+0),"00000")
=TEXT(MAX(A1:A5+0),"00000")

Those formula are required CTRL+SHIFT+Enter, my formula just press ENTER.

"Todd" wrote:

Your formula did the trick. However, another posting had a slightly more
simplified formula that achieves the same result (see below).

=TEXT(MIN(A1:A5+0),"00000")
=TEXT(MAX(A1:A5+0),"00000")

Thanks so much!

"Teethless mama" wrote:

=TEXT(MIN(INDEX(A1:A5+0,)),"00000")

Just press ENTER

"Todd" wrote:

I have a list of identification codes that are five digit numbers but will
always be treated as text. For example,

'00020
'00015
'00025
'00050
'00035

I need a worksheet function that will tell me the MIN and MAX of these codes
(evaluating the text as numbers). In this example I know that MIN=00015 and
MAX=00050. However, the actual list will contain hundreds or thousands of
codes. I need the solution to be a function. Sorting or filtering to
manually find the MIN/MAX will not work for me. I'm sure I'm not the first
person to encounter this so I am hoping someone can help me. Thanks so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't catch that. I never know how many
codes will be in column B so I changed your formula to be as shown below and
it works great (plus it's a "regular" formula because few people in my area
understand array formulas). Thanks again.

=TEXT(MIN(INDEX(INDIRECT("B2:B"&COUNTA(B2:B65536)+ 1)+0,)),"00000")

"Todd" wrote:

Your formula did the trick. However, another posting had a slightly more
simplified formula that achieves the same result (see below).

=TEXT(MIN(A1:A5+0),"00000")
=TEXT(MAX(A1:A5+0),"00000")

Thanks so much!

"Teethless mama" wrote: