Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Find a column of data in a table

I have a table of data that I want to lookup from. The table will be updated
by a data paste each month. The table is 28Cx10R and the data I am looking
for will always only be in one column (if it is there at all). I need a
formula that can help me figure out which column the data starts in. The
trick is, if the data exists it may not be in the first data row of the table
(it would start in the second, however). The end result of the formula would
tell me the coumn header so I could reference it in an H or V lookup. Can
anyone help?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Something like
=MATCH("data",1:1,0)
would tell you what column the heading "data" is in. If value is not found,
returns a #N/A error. See XL help file for further detail.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"WBTKbeezy" wrote:

I have a table of data that I want to lookup from. The table will be updated
by a data paste each month. The table is 28Cx10R and the data I am looking
for will always only be in one column (if it is there at all). I need a
formula that can help me figure out which column the data starts in. The
trick is, if the data exists it may not be in the first data row of the table
(it would start in the second, however). The end result of the formula would
tell me the coumn header so I could reference it in an H or V lookup. Can
anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Luke:

What if Row 1 has row labels in it, so that if I use 1:1 it will find the
row header? I was fooling around with MATCH yesterday, but couldn't get it to
work...