Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default List Disctinct Strings from Range of Cells

I have a spreadsheet where Sheet A contains names (including duplicates) in a
range. I'd like Sheet 2 to list the distinct names in alphabetical order.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can use Data - Filter - Advanced Filer to copy unique values. Note that
you will need to use a named range in order to copy from one sheet to
another. Once copied, simply sort the data.

If you wish this to be automated, I would recommend recording a macro of the
previous actions. You could then either link this to a command button, or a
worksheet_event, depending on your needs.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"golddave" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet where Sheet A contains names (including duplicates) in a
range. I'd like Sheet 2 to list the distinct names in alphabetical order.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Take a look at Debra Dalgleish's site he

http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#FilterUR

She shows how you can use Advanced Filter to get a list of unique
values.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Luke M wrote:
You can use Data - Filter - Advanced Filer to copy unique values. Note that
you will need to use a named range in order to copy from one sheet to
another. Once copied, simply sort the data.

If you wish this to be automated, I would recommend recording a macro of the
previous actions. You could then either link this to a command button, or a
worksheet_event, depending on your needs.
I have a spreadsheet where Sheet A contains names (including duplicates) in a
range. *I'd like Sheet 2 to list the distinct names in alphabetical order.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Advanced Filter will not work in my case because my range covers several
columns (not just rows).

Pete_UK wrote:
Take a look at Debra Dalgleish's site he

http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#FilterUR

She shows how you can use Advanced Filter to get a list of unique
values.

Hope this helps.

Pete

I've tried Advanced Filter several different ways and have not been able to
get it to work.

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You could be on any cell in sheet2. Go to Data Filter Advanced Filter.
In the action section, select copy to another location. In the list range,
select the range on sheet1. Leave the criteria range blank and in the copy
to box, select the active cell. Check the box for unique records only. Now
click on OK. This will extract the unique records.

You may now sort the data

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"golddave" <u54833@uwe wrote in message news:9c37205cf55b6@uwe...
I have a spreadsheet where Sheet A contains names (including duplicates)
in a
range. I'd like Sheet 2 to list the distinct names in alphabetical order.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yes, but Luke advised you earlier that you can record a macro while
you do it once, assign a button (or hot-key) to that macro, and then
just re-run the macro when you need to.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Pete_UK wrote:
Take a look at Debra Dalgleish's site he

http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html#FilterUR

She shows how you can use Advanced Filter to get a list of unique
values.

Hope this helps.

Pete

I've tried Advanced Filter several different ways and have not been able to
get it to work.

[quoted text clipped - 14 lines]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I cannot use a macro. Client does not allow macros as it is a vector for
viruses.

Pete_UK wrote:
Yes, but Luke advised you earlier that you can record a macro while
you do it once, assign a button (or hot-key) to that macro, and then
just re-run the macro when you need to.

Hope this helps.

Pete

I also need it to dynamically update since it's going to be used by non-
technical people who can't be expected to run the filter mechanism.

[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 18:02:16 GMT, "golddave" <u54833@uwe wrote:

I have a spreadsheet where Sheet A contains names (including duplicates) in a
range. I'd like Sheet 2 to list the distinct names in alphabetical order.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

If you can use an add-in, you could download and install Longre's free
morefunc.xll add-in (Google for a download site), and then use his UNIQUEVALUES
function.
--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This will not work for my purposes. The Advanced Filter considers every row
to be a record and so filters by column to return the row. My sheet is a
seating chart where every cell is a record so I can't filter this way.

Ashish Mathur wrote:
Hi,

You could be on any cell in sheet2. Go to Data Filter Advanced Filter.
In the action section, select copy to another location. In the list range,
select the range on sheet1. Leave the criteria range blank and in the copy
to box, select the active cell. Check the box for unique records only. Now
click on OK. This will extract the unique records.

You may now sort the data

I have a spreadsheet where Sheet A contains names (including duplicates)
in a

[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
Thanks,
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

One formulas play which will dynamically list the unique names, sorted
alphabetically by the leftmost letter (its not a true alphabetic sort, but
might suffice for your purpose). The sort criteria is set to make no
distinction between lower/upper case names

Source names assumed listed in Sheet1, in A2 down
In Sheet2,
In A2:
=IF(Sheet1!A2="","",IF(COUNTIF(Sheet1!A$2:A2,Sheet 1!A2)1,"",CODE(UPPER(LEFT(Sheet1!A2)))+ROW()/10^10))

In B2:
=IF(ISERROR(SMALL(A:A,ROWS($1:1))),"",INDEX(Sheet1 !A:A,MATCH(SMALL(A:A,ROWS($1:1)),A:A,0)))
Copy A2:B2 down to cover the max expected extent of source data, say down to
B100. Minimize/hide away the criteria col A. Col B returns the required list
of uniques, sorted in alpha sequence by the leftmost letter (case
insensitive) as mentioned above. Unique names with the same leftmost letter
will be listed in the relative order that they appear within the source. Any
good? Hit the YES below.
--
Max
Singapore
"golddave" wrote:
I have a spreadsheet where Sheet A contains names (including duplicates) in a
range. I'd like Sheet 2 to list the distinct names in alphabetical order.
Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 00:54:05 GMT, "golddave via OfficeKB.com" <u54833@uwe
wrote:

I tried that dll once and when I uninstalled it the system it was on got
messed up.

So far you have told us that:
cannot use Advanced Filter because of the shape of your data.
cannot use Advanced Filter because your users cannot run the filter.
require dynamic updating.
Client does not allow macros.
Will not use morefunc.xll because a system got messed up when you
uninstalled it.

I've installed and uninstalled morefunc.xll -- which, by the way, is an "XLL"
and not a "DLL" as you wrote above, with nary a problem. There are some
features which do not work in Excel 2007, but the UNIQUEVALUES function does
work.

I think you will have to modify your requirements.

The morefunc.xll add-in will surely do what you want. But if that is not
acceptable, you will probably need to either develop a secure way of using a
macro that satisfies your Client, or find another tool.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
If you wish, you may mail the file to me at ask(at)ashishmathur(dot)com.
Please explain the problem very clearly and give before/after examples.
Also, please ensure that the file size is not large (kindly remove redundant
information).

Thank you.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

Ashish Mathur wrote:
Hi,

You could be on any cell in sheet2. Go to Data Filter Advanced
Filter.
In the action section, select copy to another location. In the list
range,
select the range on sheet1. Leave the criteria range blank and in the
copy
to box, select the active cell. Check the box for unique records only.
Now
click on OK. This will extract the unique records.

You may now sort the data

I have a spreadsheet where Sheet A contains names (including duplicates)
in a

[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
Thanks,
Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 09:01:47 GMT, "golddave via OfficeKB.com" <u54833@uwe
wrote:

Requirements are set by clinet. Cannot be changed.

Good luck. Sometimes clients set conditions that cannot be met, and you have
to educate them.
--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

In Sheet2, the dynamic results should appear in col B.
(Col A is the criteria, hide it away, as mentioned)
Give it another try. I tested it fine over here. It dhould work over there.
--
I'm getting what appear to be random numbers from these formulas.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Try this sample construct which proves it beyond words:
http://cjoint.com/?jrpvHasO1Z
AutoList Unique Names in Alpha sort.xls

--
Column B just gives me random numbers.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Welcome. Suggest you start a new thread just focusing on the true alphabetic
sort issue. To recollect, what I gave earlier does perform both
functionalities that you seek in one go: List uniques and alpha sort by 1st
letter
--
I have it working now. Good stuff. I see what you mean about the way it
alphabetizes. Is there a way to get it to alphabetize better?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Why don u try this. It was in another post. List the distinct strings in one
coloumn on a seperate worksheet . match ur main sheet with all the strings
against this and make it return yes/no depending on the string matches.
Filtering trues will give you only the distinct strings and then do a simple
sort..

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...5-dc6c1c4d0c36

--
Sunir M S