Julie P.

Default Need to Escape from Excel Forumla Hell!

I don't know what to do! Everytime I try to alter or copy a formula, chaos
breaks lose!

This is what happens:

1) I want to copy part of a formula from a cell to another cell, which is
blank.
2) I highlight part of the formula.
3) I click control+c
4) I click the new, empty cell so I can begin to paste
5) All of a sudden a black dotted line is circulating around that new cell,
and the other cell containing the original formula now has a solid line
around it!!
6) So I click the original cell to escape, and now my formula is missing! It
contains the location of the new cell where I just tried to paste!!!

Why does this happen??

This drives me nuts, as it happens a lot!

Bob Phillips

You are clicking the target cell whilst still in edit mode, that is why
Excel thinks you are pasting that cell into the formula.

Do it this way:-
1) I want to copy part of a formula from a cell to another cell, which is
blank.
2) I highlight part of the formula.
3) I click control+c
4) Hit Esc.
5) Click the new, and paste

--

HTH

RP

"Julie P." wrote in message
I don't know what to do! Everytime I try to alter or copy a formula, chaos
breaks lose!

This is what happens:

1) I want to copy part of a formula from a cell to another cell, which is
blank.
2) I highlight part of the formula.
3) I click control+c
4) I click the new, empty cell so I can begin to paste
5) All of a sudden a black dotted line is circulating around that new

cell,
and the other cell containing the original formula now has a solid line
around it!!
6) So I click the original cell to escape, and now my formula is missing!

It
contains the location of the new cell where I just tried to paste!!!

Why does this happen??

This drives me nuts, as it happens a lot!

Julie P.

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
You are clicking the target cell whilst still in edit mode, that is why
Excel thinks you are pasting that cell into the formula.

Do it this way:-
1) I want to copy part of a formula from a cell to another cell, which is
blank.
2) I highlight part of the formula.
3) I click control+c
4) Hit Esc.
5) Click the new, and paste

Thanks Bob! It worked! It also works if you hit "enter" instead of "escape"!

Julie