Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Nested IFs and multiples

Hi,

I work for a publishing company and Im designing a spreadsheet for our
clients. The idea is that the client specifies a few variables and the
spreadsheet will tell them how much the project will cost and how long it
will take.

One of things I want to do is have them enter the word count of the article
they want written. In another cell, I want to put a formula that will check
the word count and calculate the following using nested IF statements
(assuming thats the best way to do it):

€¢ If the word count is zero then populate this cell with the value €˜0
€¢ If the word count is more than zero, for the first 500 words populate the
cell with the number €˜3, for every subsequent 500 words add the number €˜1.5
to the initial €˜3.

So if the wordcount 1000 is entered into A1 and the formula is in B1, the
value in B1 would be 4.5. The value in B1 represents the number of hours it
will take to write the article.

Is this possible? If it is, can anyone help me with the formula?

Many thanks

Karl

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Karl

This formula should do it:

=IF(A1=0,0,IF(A1<=500,3,ROUNDUP((A1-500)/500,0)*1.5+3))

Best regards,
Per

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(A1=500,3,0)+(INT(A1/500)-1)*1.5

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Karl" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Should be
=IF(A1,IF(A1=500,3,0)+(INT(A1/500)-1)*1.5,0)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

=IF(A1=500,3,0)+(INT(A1/500)-1)*1.5

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Karl" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Its again wrong...Try the below
=IF(A1,3,0)+IF(A1500,FLOOR(A1-500,500)/500,0)*1.5

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

Should be
=IF(A1,IF(A1=500,3,0)+(INT(A1/500)-1)*1.5,0)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

=IF(A1=500,3,0)+(INT(A1/500)-1)*1.5

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Karl" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You could use this as well. D12 is where you enter the time. D7:D8 holds 0
and 501. E7:E8 holds 3 and 4.5

=IF(D12=0,0,VLOOKUP(D12,$D$7:$E$8,2))

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Try this

=IF(A1=0,0,1.5+1.5*ROUNDUP(A1/500,))

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Karl" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Based on other responses I see that there are two ways to interpret your
question for the second use

=IF(A1=0,0,1.5+1.5*INT(A1/500))

The question is what do you do when there are 1001 words and 1499?

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire