Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to Reverse Text in Excel without VBA

Hi,

i need to reverce text written in a cell without using VBA. I know how to
write a simple VBA function to do this job, but wanted to know if there is
any function available to do this, or even a combination of functions if
there are any.

A quick response would be much appriciated...

thanks...
--
Sheikh Saadi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

that's corrat... excatly like that...

Example:
Hello Abc --- cbA olleH

is there any function or combination of funcitons?

--
Sheikh Saadi

"Sheikh Saadi" wrote:

Hi,

i need to reverce text written in a cell without using VBA. I know how to
write a simple VBA function to do this job, but wanted to know if there is
any function available to do this, or even a combination of functions if
there are any.

A quick response would be much appriciated...

thanks...
--
Sheikh Saadi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Well, this is clumsy, but it will do it for up to 12 characters:

=IF(LEN(A1)<1,"",MID(A1,LEN(A1),1))&
IF(LEN(A1)<2,"",MID(A1,LEN(A1)-1,1))&
IF(LEN(A1)<3,"",MID(A1,LEN(A1)-2,1))&
IF(LEN(A1)<4,"",MID(A1,LEN(A1)-3,1))&
IF(LEN(A1)<5,"",MID(A1,LEN(A1)-4,1))&
IF(LEN(A1)<6,"",MID(A1,LEN(A1)-5,1))&
IF(LEN(A1)<7,"",MID(A1,LEN(A1)-6,1))&
IF(LEN(A1)<8,"",MID(A1,LEN(A1)-7,1))&
IF(LEN(A1)<9,"",MID(A1,LEN(A1)-8,1))&
IF(LEN(A1)<10,"",MID(A1,LEN(A1)-9,1))&
IF(LEN(A1)<11,"",MID(A1,LEN(A1)-10,1))&
IF(LEN(A1)<12,"",MID(A1,LEN(A1)-11,1))

I've manually split it so that you can see how to extend it for more
characters, but it is all one formula, assuming the text to reverse is
in A1.

Hope this helps.

Pete

"Sheikh Saadi" wrote:

Hi,

i need to reverce text written in a cell without using VBA. I know how to
write a simple VBA function to do this job, but wanted to know if there is
any function available to do this, or even a combination of functions if
there are any.

A quick response would be much appriciated...

thanks...
--
Sheikh Saadi- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sheikh Saadi wrote...
that's corrat... excatly like that...

Example:
Hello Abc --- * cbA olleH

is there any function or combination of funcitons?

Not generally, no. Brute force is the only thing that comes close.

With FOOBAR in cell X99, the formula

=LEFT(RIGHT(X99,1)&LEFT(RIGHT(X99,2))&LEFT(RIGHT(X 99,3))
&LEFT(RIGHT(X99,4))&LEFT(RIGHT(X99,5))&LEFT(RIGHT( X99,6))
&LEFT(RIGHT(X99,7))&LEFT(RIGHT(X99,8))&LEFT(RIGHT( X99,9))
&LEFT(RIGHT(X99,10))&LEFT(RIGHT(X99,11))&LEFT(RIGH T(X99,12))
&LEFT(RIGHT(X99,13))&LEFT(RIGHT(X99,14))&LEFT(RIGH T(X99,15))
&LEFT(RIGHT(X99,16)),LEN(X99))

returns RABOOF. You could extend this further, but it'll run up
against the formula character limit, which means you can't reliably
reverse strings longer than 50 characters or so.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

There is an add-in available that has functions that will do this.

However, if you go to the trouble of installing an add-in you may as well
use your own UDF.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Sheikh Saadi" wrote in message

i need to reverce text written in a cell without using VBA. I know how to
write a simple VBA function to do this job, but wanted to know if there is
any function available to do this, or even a combination of functions if
there are any.

A quick response would be much appriciated...

thanks...
--
Sheikh Saadi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Pete, but I know this workaounrd. also, this would not work as i dont
know if the characters are exactly 12 or less everytime.

As far as i found out, there is no build in function for this task.

Thanks for your response though.

--
Sheikh Saadi

"Sheikh Saadi" wrote:

Hi,

i need to reverce text written in a cell without using VBA. I know how to
write a simple VBA function to do this job, but wanted to know if there is
any function available to do this, or even a combination of functions if
there are any.

A quick response would be much appriciated...

thanks...
--
Sheikh Saadi

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You may download and install the addin from
http://xcell05.free.fr/morefunc/english/index.htm and then use the
TEXTREVERSE(cell_ref) function

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP