Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Sharing Data Between 2 .XLS Files

I have 2 .xls files. One is a list of transactions. The other a list
of client contact information. I'd like to take the address from the
contact information .XLS and have it appear in the transaction .XLS.
I'm thinking that there must be a way to key off of the client name
which is identical in both .XLS files. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming the client name is unique (Only shows once in the file), you can use
VLOOKUP()

=VLOOKUP($A2,'[Contact info.xls]Sheet1!$A$B,2,0)

Assuming:
Contact info is the name of your contact information file
Sheet1 is the sheet name on yoru contact info file that you need.
Contact name is in cell A2 of your transaction file and contact info file.
Address is in column B of your contact info file.

The ,2, means to return the value in the second column of your selected
table. Please change to the column count based on your specific circumstance.

"David Goldstein" wrote:

I have 2 .xls files. One is a list of transactions. The other a list
of client contact information. I'd like to take the address from the
contact information .XLS and have it appear in the transaction .XLS.
I'm thinking that there must be a way to key off of the client name
which is identical in both .XLS files. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This is very close to what I'm asking for. However the contact name
will not be in the same cell in both files. The transactions file may
contain many transactions for a particular client. (In other words
there's a many to one relationship between the transactions and
clients.) I'd like the formula to take the client name in the
transaction file, look it up in the client file (wherever it may be)
and return the associated address.

Thanks.