Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default backing up shared workbook

Help I have an Excel workbook that is shared and updated by multiple
users. I am having issues with users deleting information and saving the
workbook which is overriding the original. Can anyone give me any ideas on a
good backup system? I only have so much room on my companys server to back
things up so backing it up after each change with multiple users saving
several times a day is not an option. Is backing this workbook up the way to
go or is there a better way to fix my issue? Any help would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You mean aside from getting new users? :-)

You can put protection on the sheet to avoid havng them do anything you
don't want them to do, then you can protect and share workbook.. Just a
thought...

"Carolina Girl" wrote:

Help I have an Excel workbook that is shared and updated by multiple
users. I am having issues with users deleting information and saving the
workbook which is overriding the original. Can anyone give me any ideas on a
good backup system? I only have so much room on my companys server to back
things up so backing it up after each change with multiple users saving
several times a day is not an option. Is backing this workbook up the way to
go or is there a better way to fix my issue? Any help would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

This is really an issue of user training.

I don't like shared workbooks, but if you must use them why not turn on
Track Changes and then review the files to see what changes were made by whom
and decide if you want to keep them? You might also look at Compare & Merge
Workbooks, both on the Tools menu.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Carolina Girl" wrote:

Help I have an Excel workbook that is shared and updated by multiple
users. I am having issues with users deleting information and saving the
workbook which is overriding the original. Can anyone give me any ideas on a
good backup system? I only have so much room on my companys server to back
things up so backing it up after each change with multiple users saving
several times a day is not an option. Is backing this workbook up the way to
go or is there a better way to fix my issue? Any help would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I agree with both comments... Ive never been one for shared workbooks. But
this is what the boss wants so this is what I must do Training not an option
(although would be great) Using the Protection on the sheet would be good but
they are deleting information they normality put in I like the tracking
changes but I do have one question. Can I make it so I am the only one who
can accept the changes? Normally when there are changes and there is more
then one person in the workbook the other person can accept. Can this be
modified with a macro or is there something else built into Excel I can use?

"Carolina Girl" wrote:

Help I have an Excel workbook that is shared and updated by multiple
users. I am having issues with users deleting information and saving the
workbook which is overriding the original. Can anyone give me any ideas on a
good backup system? I only have so much room on my companys server to back
things up so backing it up after each change with multiple users saving
several times a day is not an option. Is backing this workbook up the way to
go or is there a better way to fix my issue? Any help would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You would be able to build a macro that reads, say, your login name. That
would be pretty advanced for this side. May want to ask the Programming
section about that kind of code.

Depending on how your workbook is set up and such, may also consider linking
individual workbooks to your master, so they can only mess up their piece of
things...