Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default VLookup

I have a vertical lookup which is pulling information from another worksheet
within the same workbook. I want to be able to have the formula look in
worksheet #1 and if it does not find it in that worksheet - go to worksheet
#2 and do the same vertical lookup.

Can someone help me format this? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Marie-Lou,

Try

if(isna(vlookup[first]), vlookup[second],vlookpup[first])

It is a bit cryptic, the idea is if the first vlookup returns an error, use
the second, if it doesn't use the first.

Hope this helps

Wkr,

JP

#2 and do the same vertical lookup.

Can someone help me format this? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

i will try it and let you know. thanks for your very quick response.

can i ask one more question? if i wanted to do some conditional formatting
so that if the result came from worksheet #2 - is that possible? like i want
the font to be in a different color if the answer came from a specific
worksheet.

#2 and do the same vertical lookup.

Can someone help me format this? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It doesnt like something. do you mind taking a quick look to see if you know
what I am doing wrong?

=IF(isna(VLOOKUP($A8,'2008 Top 40'!$A$8:$B$470,2,FALSE),VLOOKUP($A8,'2008
All Clients'!$A$7:$B4470,2,FALSE),VLOOKUP($A8,'2008 Top
40'!$A$8:$B$470,2,FALSE))

#2 and do the same vertical lookup.

Can someone help me format this? Thanks!

#2 and do the same vertical lookup.

Can someone help me format this? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(isna(VLOOKUP($A8,'2008 Top 40'!$A$8:$B$470,2,FALSE),VLOOKUP($A8,'2008
All Clients'!$A$7:$B4470,2,FALSE),VLOOKUP($A8,'2008 Top
40'!$A$8:$B$470,2,FALSE))

You're missing a closing ")" for the ISNA function.

If the lookup value is guaranteed to be on one sheet or the other:

=VLOOKUP($A8,IF(COUNTIF('2008 Top 40'!$A$8:$A$470,A8),'2008 Top
40'!$A$8:$B$470,'2008 All Clients'!$A$7:$B4470),2,0)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

#2 and do the same vertical lookup.

Can someone help me format this? Thanks!