Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Multiple cells for IF function

I'm trying to figure a way to determine if a word appears in a range of cells
to return a certain value. For instance. If the word "Holiday" appears in
blocks A1 through A200, then in cell B2 it would return a value of "taken" if
it doesn't appear in that range then return a value of "Need to take" how
can this be done. I have been able to use the IF function to return the
desired outcome for only one of the cells, but when I attemp to use a range
of cells it will not work. Please help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use COUNTIF()

If holiday is a cell value
=IF(COUNTIF(A1:A100,"Holiday"),"Taken","Need to take")

If holiday is within the cell
=IF(COUNTIF(A1:A100,"*Holiday*"),"Taken","Need to take")

If this post helps click Yes
Jacob Skaria