Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default concatenate and multiply problem

Hi,

A B C D
Island 2 3 4

Is it possible to first multiply digits in cell B2,C2 and D4 and then
concatenate text in cell A1. Also I want to apply formula in A2. I want to
see something like this in cell A1:

Island 24
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

=A1&" "&PRODUCT(B2:C2,D4)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"tipoo" wrote in message

A B C D
Island 2 3 4

Is it possible to first multiply digits in cell B2,C2 and D4 and then
concatenate text in cell A1. Also I want to apply formula in A2. I want to
see something like this in cell A1:

Island 24

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks heaps for a quick response but is it possible to use this formula in
cell A1. Because when put this formula it comes out zero in cell a1

Thanks

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try this:

=A1&" "&PRODUCT(B2:C2,D4)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"tipoo" wrote in message

A B C D
Island 2 3 4

Is it possible to first multiply digits in cell B2,C2 and D4 and then
concatenate text in cell A1. Also I want to apply formula in A2. I want to
see something like this in cell A1:

Island 24

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Howard,

Thanks but is it possible to use this formula in cell A1 which basically
means the value that you are concatenating is in the cell (A1)where you are
applying the formula?

"tipoo" wrote in message

A B C D
Island 2 3 4

Is it possible to first multiply digits in cell B2,C2 and D4 and then
concatenate text in cell A1. Also I want to apply formula in A2. I want to
see something like this in cell A1:

Island 24

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No you can't do that. If you have "Island" in cell A1 and you try to enter
the formula into cell A1, it will displace the word "Island" and the formula
will be the sole occupant of A1.

You could enter this in A1 and it will return "Island 24".
="Island"&" "&PRODUCT(B2:D2)

Howard

"tipoo" wrote in message

A B C D
Island 2 3 4

Is it possible to first multiply digits in cell B2,C2 and D4 and then
concatenate text in cell A1. Also I want to apply formula in A2. I want
see something like this in cell A1:

Island 24

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No. You can't enter the formula in A1 since A1 already contains an entry.

You have to put the formula in another cell.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"tipoo" wrote in message
Thanks heaps for a quick response but is it possible to use this formula
in
cell A1. Because when put this formula it comes out zero in cell a1

Thanks

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try this:

=A1&" "&PRODUCT(B2:C2,D4)